Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

How come nobody likes to smile in their deer pictures you should be happy with the nice bucks everyone shot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Giz9219

From what I've read, the deer don't start eating the turnips until late season after a couple frosts turn the bitter starches into sweet sugars. I sure hope they like these turnips, there's about 70 acres of them on one side, cut corn on the other, and an unpicked apple orchard behind both. These turnips are the size of those huge zucchini you forget about in the garden. Long, fat, and white radish/ turnips. I roasted one for thanksgiving and it fed 15 people. Lol post-149813-14490038939195_thumb.jpg

From what I've read, the deer don't start eating the turnips until late season after a couple frosts turn the bitter starches into sweet sugars. I sure hope they like these turnips, there's about 70 acres of them on one side, cut corn on the other, and an unpicked apple orchard behind both. These turnips are the size of those huge zucchini you forget about in the garden. Long, fat, and white radish/ turnips. I roasted one for thanksgiving and it fed 15 people. Lol attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1449003892.489045.jpg

Looks like a cool spot

I saw a big 10 pt tonight munching on the apples under an old apple tree, completely ignoring the turnips for now. Couldn't get a picture of him though as it was getting too dark. Nice deer though. He had the tine length that my archery buck was lacking, but not as wide. I'm looking for some nice fat does, but haven't seen a single one since before Halloween.

turnips are a great buck attractant when in velvet and right now ................their is a book called" White tail Wisdom" that might be worth reading if ya wanna know what food plots are all about...................and does too  the night pic is bare ground in another late planted turnip plot between deer turkey and coyotes (yup they eat em too and they love apples "yotes" )  after velvet shed 95% of the bucks went for acorns and nat brouse   .........But i only hunt a average of 50 or 60 days a season so i might be full of .......well the cameras don't lie 

post-139681-0-12644500-1449019446_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-97662500-1449019460_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-96697800-1449019482_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-44324300-1449019498_thumb.jpgpost-139681-0-30162500-1449019524_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-42220500-1449019557_thumb.jpg

turnips are a great buck attractant when in velvet and right now ................their is a book called" White tail Wisdom" that might be worth reading if ya wanna know what food plots are all about...................and does too  the night pic is bare ground in another late planted turnip plot between deer turkey and coyotes (yup they eat em too and they love apples "yotes" )  after velvet shed 95% of the bucks went for acorns and nat brouse   .........But i only hunt a average of 50 or 60 days a season so i might be full of .......well the cameras don't lie 

attachicon.gifMFDC0251.JPG

attachicon.gifMFDC0255.JPG

attachicon.gifMFDC0325.JPG

attachicon.gifMFDC0473.JPGattachicon.gifMFDC0476.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0430.JPG

I'm glad they work for you. Do you have a lot of AG fields in the area they are planted? I had AG fields within 100 yards of my plots and they would rather browse the soybean (before they yellow) than the turnips we had. The only turnips we have planted are brassica which are great for drawing in deer in the late season after all the AG fields have been harvested and snow starts to fly.

I have experience with food plots for 15 years. I'm a corn and soybean farmer for a living also. The book mentioned is a good read and has valuable info like different shapes to consider to pull deer to a certain kill zone etc. Being a crop farmer I don't have the time to hunt at all. I still take care of the plots because I see the benefit of them. Long story short, if the deer don't find the turnips, brassica, dig some up around xmas. They will remember and enjoy them. The best thing you can overseed with in October is winter red wheat. It is the first thing that greens back up after the snow melt of a hard winter. The deer appreciate it very much as there is hardly anything actively growing at that time. It also grows in thick enough to help snuff out some weeds. Just my $.02. The best thing to have is a 5 acre no human admission for any reason sanctuary. As soon as the guns go off, I have 20+ deer in it. I watch them run to it full bore, get 15 yards in, flick the tail 3 or 4 times, and lay down for the day. I haven't let anyone even look in it while walking past for 15 years. Nice bucks in the pics guys and girl. I'd like buck fever again, been awhile. Bout as much fun as I could have alone. Respect the animals and enjoy them. Take care all.

Since my buck tag is full I drove around by my spots this evening and after the rain let up there were deer all over feeding in the fields. Feels weird not having a tag to keep the chase going. Makes the whole Muzzleloader deal even more sour.

I drove around at dark also. I've been working my tail off this week in hopes to hunt hard the last ten days of the gun season. Deer were definitely on the feed.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app