Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Wow its labor day already... Believe it or not, the fishing season is almost done. Less than a month from now, we will be back in the deer woods chasing Bambi again. Im hoping to document my season on here through all the ups and downs, once again. Last years hunting season thread seemed to be a success, so why not keep it going. Truth is, I dont do too much hunting prep while the boat is in the water or at least until September sneaks up on me. It really wasnt until this past week, that i put much thought into it. The calendar gave me a swift kick in the a$$ and i need to get things done, ASAP! The archery targets are back out barn and trail cameras will start going in the woods today. Rut in 60 days!!!

I hear you on how fast it is approaching. Working on tree stand repairs now. Need the paint to gat sent free and new cables for my safety. Then need to get them back in the woods.Season starts in five weeks. My bow needs an adjustment after a new string last month and then needs to be resighted in. Also need to work and gat the boat ready for winter.

Good luck this season.

I have been waiting for the new thread for the year. I'm getting tuned in 24 days from now, not that I'm counting.... This is one that we have on my northern zone property this year. I don't put cameras on the property in Victor because I believe it's too much hype. My uncle sent me this one of our secondary area. post-149334-14416844295462_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Man you guys have some dandy racks up there, I remember when we had property on the Perch River, late 70's early 80's we hardly saw any deer driving around, now out towards Water Town , on the road from Sackets harbor towards town there's always a bunch standing in those farm fields. We kind of chuckle to ourselves as its all posted and safety zones just like the deer around our hunting grounds, the first crack of the barrel the deer all run towards the developments and towards the papers on the trees. Of course you more serious hunters have some fine hunting grounds left unlike us, just isn't the same when I was 12 years old, 40 years ago. Good luck and be safe everyone. I can smell the onions frying as the backstraps get peeled of the bone.

There was a nice 8 point in the field the other night Rob. I forgot to text you.

Nice. I have a lot to do over there. Hopefully I get to it this weekend.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's what they said at Walmart in Greece. I still don't believe it. I live in 8c and up till now they have replaced any verified 8c doe kill with a bonus tag for as long as I've lived here. Going to the town hall for my tags as well as my daughter on Wednesday. Last year the roads around 8c had more deer/auto hits per mile than any other dmu. Curious to see if it's really the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well an angry Lady O kept us glued to the dock this weekend. That gave me a chance to spend the morning in the woods playing with stands. Most of my to do list is compete now. 5 cameras up in the past week also.

Legacy, I bought 3 cameras from you all work good and they now are taking pictures of Bucks in Arkwright. Thanks for the cameras.

Awesome!

Legacy and others are you hunting 8f or some surrounding WMU's? Notice the doe only first 2 weeks of bow and all of muzzleloader?  Why not first 2 of regular season? DEC has no clue I swear.

Honestly... I have no idea their thought process.

Wait til next year as for the requirements to get your buck tag. Then on top of that they are gonna supposedly make it QDMA across the state. This state is becoming a joke as for the license fees and then make it impossible to get any does tags. When was the last time you seen a state biologists in the woods or in the air trying to get a somewhat accurate count of the deer herd. I have always gotten a tag for my area 8P and yet this year everyone in my family was denied and yet that's what we see mostly there. None of it makes any sense.

This doe-only early season is phase two of DEC's three part plan to "progressively increase harvest pressure on antlerless deer where needed". This is from the DEC website. The next phase is an early muzzleloader season. It's coming. Opening day in the middle of bow season. There's a question and answer page on the DEC site that reiterates this over and over. Grab your ankles and get ready.

Edited by Gator

If the DEC did a doe only weekend, they would have more participation in lowering the herd. Here is 3 reasons why I won't tromp through the woods the first two weeks in my one spot ....post-140970-14424107294979_thumb.jpgpost-140970-14424107527561_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by iceman05

It is very frustrating as like most others my time is limited. The first doesn't bother as much because the season didn't start until the 15th not to long ago. However they ruined my favorite season (muzzle loader ) by taking away the possibility of shooting a buck. Some of my best have come during that season and there are very few hunters out at that time. I did not buy a muzzle loader tag this year and I have heard many others say the same. We don't have property south of the new regs so no sense in buying one. I feel sorry for all those that have lifetime licenses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This doe-only early season is phase two of DEC's three part plan to "progressively increase harvest pressure on antlerless deer where needed". This is from the DEC website. The next phase is an early muzzleloader season. It's coming. Opening day in the middle of bow season. There's a question and answer page on the DEC site that reiterates this over and over. Grab your ankles and get ready.

Well in the northern zone they have bow season, then muzzleloader lastly followed by regular season.  I always asked why it isn't like that all over NY basically giving the guys that hunt with the hardest implements first then then ending with the "easier".  Now I'm not saying hunting in general is easy just the implements used get easier to use.

Wait til next year as for the requirements to get your buck tag. Then on top of that they are gonna supposedly make it QDMA across the state. This state is becoming a joke as for the license fees and then make it impossible to get any does tags. When was the last time you seen a state biologists in the woods or in the air trying to get a somewhat accurate count of the deer herd. I have always gotten a tag for my area 8P and yet this year everyone in my family was denied and yet that's what we see mostly there. None of it makes any sense.

I can see them doing earn a buck program but then I can also see a lot of guys that hunt as a group eating a doe tag to have a buck tag between a few of them.

Their program would work flawlessly if everyone followed the rules (should use laws but we know how well they are enforced) but there are always people that work around the system.  The worst part is the guys that do this ruin for those that actually follow the law.