Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Hit the stand for an hour last night. Forgot the pee jug, so I climbed out 15 minutes early, took a leak, and collected two SD cards from the cameras. I managed to walk up on three doe to within fifteen yards...they were on the far side of a brush pile near my Dunstan chestnut plantings. They got a pass (as opposed to a pass-through ;) ). I'm pretty sure that it was the mature and two yearlings I've been seeing on the property all year and I couldn't bring myself to arrow her. Yet. It was just good to get out. 

And what's with all the East wind in the forecast? It works for my property, but strange...

And what's with all the East wind in the forecast? It works for my property, but strange...

I have nothing that works for east wind. Its tough to hang a stand that can only be hunted in east winds. Its the most uncommon wind for us so i dont plan for it. ne and se i have a few places that work though.

My land sits on a corner with crop fields to the West. The stands along the West side closest to the fields should be good in an East wind, and walking in is easier since the scent is drifting into the field. Since it's the first year, I don't know for certain though. 

All our other properties have at most one or two stands that work in an East. 

I should be asking you that question! We just bought the property this year and the Dunstans went in ~May. I have >90% survival and I'd say that half of them showed some growth in the tubes, the other half leafed out and look good, just not much vertical growth. I guess that's to be expected. Next year they'll get Osmocote in the spring and I'll spray around the base to prevent competition. 

I'm actually intrigued about the Auburn Buck IV that drops in November. It's patented and pricey, but I may put a few in this coming year. They're a grafted variety. 

And there's big news just emerging about a GMO where they've got an American that can survive blight. It'll be a couple of years til we see that one on the streets.

Corey from Future Forest is also trying some this year. We'll have to compare notes down the road. How do the ones at your cousins look?

Finally a great morning to be out. Mid 40s, light wind. I have mini-me with me and we are sitting on an avalanche of acorns.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The hot thing now is to steal a licking branch and reposition it by your stand. All that good nasty scent on it is supposed to lure them in.

We used surgical gloves and did that in the early 90's...it works...easier to put the stand by the branch....we would measure the branch height and re hang it as exactly the same as possible. You have to be very meticulous with scent...similar to trapping

I've seen five bucks walk by one branch in an evening and every one of them stops to lick it. One of them danced on his hind legs for a good 30 seconds to wrap his antlers around it. Quite the show.

I haven't tried it yet. Anybody?

No and I wouldn't. Too many times I've observed deer paying very particular attention to the drapery in their territory. They do notice a change (late shooting lane cuts) etc...in the case of knowing the branch is there and getting used frequently ...I'd move a stand to that spot and not move the drapery.

Pretty cool video of a deer being harvested from the deers side of things.

http://outdooroverload.com/deerhunting-kill-shot-terry-drury/

This guy is a loser. To kill a mature doe with one of her fawns sitting in a tower in a beet field just to get the perfect camera angle?

What have I learned from this different camera angle and how will it make me a better archer? That's right - absolutely nothing but sensationalism.

What's next? Filming the deer slowly die while taking its last breath with a Gopro strapped to its neck?

Disclaimer - I'm an avid outdoorsman who has harvested many wild game, so I'm not here as a treehugger or PETA activist. I guess I get more sensitive with this kind of stuff as I get older.

Chris

Weather is finally cooperating so I Packed up the truck and headed south this afternoon. Wyoming county. Rumor has it you can shoot deer with racks here. Lol. A few field with does feeding in them on the way down too. It's nice to see deer on their feet at 2 in the afternoon.

Hung a new stand on the walk in. 30 yards or so inside the woods from the alfalfa field edge. A spot that's been dying for a stand for years now. Hopefully my kid gets an opportunity tonight from there.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would like to report one coyote with a large patch of missing/shaved hair.

Lol make that 2 quartering to me at 41 yrds he ducked it and I shaved his a$$ with a ramcat....little pr!ck

:)

Lots of active does seen yesterday afternoon. Three in the big alfalfa field when we got there a bunch from the stands, and 12-15 in the field at dusk, Racks were MIA.

Piebald buck? I dont have any day time photos of him yet

Sure looks like it, I shot one during bow season in '11 wife gave him a hair cut then I sealed the deal pretty funny when I show people where she missed. Although I don't think she finds it very funny.

Piebald buck? I dont have any day time photos of him yet

Tough to tell as early September their coats can be a little patchy  yet and temps were still hitting in the 80's at time of photo.