SLR still happening

Kevin J Legg

Back on the water tonight. Put two nice ones in the box first two passes on a run 40 yds long! Next pass a short one. All in the first 20 minutes before dark. Then prime time and everything goes to ****! Lose control of the boat and hang my stern light up on an overhanging branch. Bent but still working. (yes, fishing that close to shore} Next fish another shortie that takes a flop and burries all three trebles in a towel. In the tackle box for another lure and fish another 45 minutes without a tap. Move to another spot and hit number three first pass there,

All in all, a 23,22, and 21....two throwbacks.....one lost and great to be out again! 

post-156305-0-56331200-1441680305_thumb.jpg

Wow!! That is a well earned catch prof T! The 'comedy of errors' always seems to happen when u r on fish, lol. So frustrating...... Great work keeping ur head and limiting out. How long do u normally fish a spot before moving to another..... If productivity has slowed or is nonexistent?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Prof T

I hate outings when everything seems to go wrong (told you a word we have for that) but at least you got fish. We had a lure get hung up on my buddies shirt and we took the shirt off and got trebles out when we finished fishing. Fish are still around but you have to find them. Good bite once you find them.

Esox..my spots are sort of compact, except for one. If I give it three good trys, where I know I've been in the range, speeds been right and my lure wasn't fouled, I move on. When I take guys, they have a tendency to drag lures longer than me. Im constantly checking that I'm on bottom and reeling up to clean gear off. When you really get to know a spot, you know when you should pull up and when you absolutely should be down, clean and in the zone.

As for sharing info, had it not been for this forum I'd never have had the summer I've had. There's lots of fish to work and plenty of good area to find them on.

Esox,

I'm not very patient. If I hit a spot and don't see bait or catch fish I move on. If there is bait I may give it two tries without a fish. If I catch a fish I'll fish it till I troll it twice without a fish and then move. I may move back to a spot later if it produced. I also have areas I fish at night and others I fish after sun up. Just keep looking and experimenting. Most people won't work at it like Prof T and I have to figure it out and as he stated, you can't catch fish with a weedy lure so that needs to be checked and a feel is super important.

I know Kevins post on the heavy BB a couple of years ago helped me catch a few more eys plus it gives you that one more option to go to when things get tough. I give Kevin and ProfT alot of credit they are fortunate to be retired and they get to live there passion on the water hunting and fishing. I don't want to rush my life away but I hope when I am able too retire I can also spend a great amount of time on the river. We are all very lucky there are people on this site that are willing to share info the way they all do also. Would still like to fish more mornings  than I do but its hard when you only have the weekends so i try to get things done so I can go at night. Hoping that the bite stays good now that the summer is over and the river should quiet down. Good luck.

I second the words that mhtrapper spoke!!! Only time and perseverance will prevail, and they all have what it takes to be successful. Being retired or just having the time to search and destroy has a lot to do with it. By destroy I mean understanding your sonar, knowing the river and being able to understand the habitat of a walleye. Great job fella's you deserve it!!!

Ran into Roybee and his dad on the water. Said hi and headed to my spots. Hot there too. kept a 26 that was not likely to recover, a 22 and a 21. Threw back a 25 and a 23. Had one breakoff, weak spot in line not a monster fish. Interesting, catching fish BEFORE dark.

post-156305-0-39535000-1441765262_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the info guys.... Based on ur comments, Think im burning too much time in each spot. Easy to get sucked into the hooks that arent biting on the sonar. Also going to finally give BB a serious go. It seems to be a very productive method on the river. More productive than my methods so far😩. Keep u posted and thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United