subtroll question

danno

I just got my unit back from Moor.  They serviced due to some bad sensors that needed replacing.  Used it the other day after getting it back and received some very weird readings.  Temp guage seemed to work fine, but boat speed seemed to be in reverse.  The faster I increased surface speed, the lower the subtroll would read.  And the more I slowed the boat down, the faster the subtroll read. I called Moor and they thought that it was down currents.  The readings were so completely inaccurate, that I don't think that was the case.

This is what was happening - If my surface speed was 2, my downspeed was 1.25.  As I increased my surface speed on the same heading, to bring up my downspeed, it actually reduced my downspeed.  When I had my surface speed up to 3.75, my downspeed dropped to .5.   I've fished on other boats with downspeed, and have never seen anything like this. 

Any thoughts what would cause this?

We had our speed wheel develop a hard spot in it, the wheel would not spin freely on the axle.  Make sure that isn't the problem.

How much cable did you have out?  Ours will give strange readings when there is a lot of blowback (over 100' of cable out).  Check yours at 25' (to eliminate blowback as a cause) at a couple different speeds to see if this is contributing to your problems.

Sounds like they have the polarities reversed on the speed wheel.

Exactly - they rewired something wrong. Send it back to Moor, their customer service is superb.

Chris

Other thing is - make sure you are running the probe with the white dot up, otherwise if you run it upside down, you will have the same situation

Chris

Edited by momay4000