Starting the search and research for my first boat. Where to start?

nomad_archer

So I took my wife out on Cayuga lake with a charter to jig for lakers.  She has a great experience and is hooked on fishing.  We are from south central, pa and are now looking for a shack to sleep in in the area and eventually a boat.  

We fished out of a crestliner fishhawk 1850.  I really like fishing out of that boat, it had great storage, plenty of room and was very stable.  But then again I was comparing to the only other boat I have fished out of which is my dads 14' row boat with a 9.9 on the back.  

So what I am looking for is any direction as to which brands/models/size/style would be recommended for a first boat that would do well in the finger lakes.  The boat may see some use at home in PA lakes but I believe the majority of the use would be in the finger lakes.  I do not need to get into trolling and down riggers just yet, as I really enjoyed jigging but it maybe something I pick up in the future.  I plan to use the boat as an all around fishing boat for my wife, 3 year old daughter and myself for lakers, bass, walleye or whatever is biting.  The biggest thing that I liked about the crestliner was the stability and the organization.  

I will be towing with a '08 V6 tacoma with a 6500lbs tow capacity and max tongue weight 650lbs.

I am most likely looking used as that will probably be what fits the budget by the time I am ready to buy.  Is there anything that I need to lookout for on the used market?

Thanks for any and all advice to help point me in the right direction and get me started on my search.

In the end it will end up being "personal preference" but there are some general things to consider. You have a vehicle that will pull most boats nicely and apparently you intend to tow..Since you intend to use the boat on the Finger Lakes a boat with a deep V hull is advisable and something  about18 ft long minimum should be considered as it can get rough on these lakes sometimes in a hurry. A glass boat will usually ride more comfortably on the water but  will usually be considerably heavier than a same sized aluminum boat so gas consumption on the tow vehicle will probably be greater but if your wife will be riding in it frequently a glass boat may be more suitable ....one with comfortable seating. whatever you decide "try before you buy" in any case. If you intend to seriously fish for species such as trout of salmon try to think ahead as far as does it offer sufficient space in the back and width of the gunwales for mounting rod holders or later on if you decide to use downriggers etc.. Will a swim platform or other structure be in the way if I decide to install a secondary motor later? Do I want an outboard motor or an I/O, 4 cycle (newer motors) or 2 cycle (where you have to mix oil with gas) etc. There are unending considerations but in order to make an informed decision you need to actually get into the boat and go for a ride and perhaps on a day when there are some small waves to get a real feel of handling it. This far from coves the potential considerations or issues but hopefully steers you toward the process. Good luck.

Edited by Sk8man

Info Sk8man gave is great. He is a man with plenty of wisdom and tact. That is said with all sincerity. Having the Ms. And child into the fishing bit is great!! Don't rush into your decision based on one trip. Boats are terrific source of enjoyment but also one of the biggest pain in the asses in life depending upon your attitude about them. Think hard about any boat purchase you make!! BOAT = Break out another thousand when something goes wrong usually!! Not my intention to soundnegative but just want to give a general reality before you dive in head first. Depending on your use it may be more practical to charter a few times to see where you actually are in the boating gig. Either way you will get plenty of views and advice from this site. Good luck with your decision.

You are going to find in the used marketplace aluminum boats in the 17-19 ft range.  You will likely want what they call a fish and ski type boat which is open bow, with a full windshield and a high convertible top.  Most of these will be outboards.   Some of the names you will see are Lund, StarCraft, Sylvan, Smokercraft, Sea Nymph, Lowe, Princecraft, Mirro-Craft, Tracker, Polar-Kraft and of course Crestliner.   

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the boat. If you wanna fish the bigger finger lakes or when its rough an 18' is prob a minimum. If you fish smaller water or are a fair weather family a pontoon is a great option. For small water a toon is a far more comfortable, more spacious vessel....there isnt a boat that is perfect for everything. As said above take your time before you buy and get on several boats.

There is no rush to buy here. It will probably be a year or better until I decide. Until then I will continue to charter.

I would like to fish the larger finger lakes so it sounds like 18' min. I would like an outboard. Beyond that I have a lot I need to look into.

How old is two old and how many hours is to many hours on a motor?

Info Sk8man gave is great. He is a man with plenty of wisdom and tact. That is said with all sincerity. Having the Ms. And child into the fishing bit is great!! Don't rush into your decision based on one trip. Boats are terrific source of enjoyment but also one of the biggest pain in the asses in life depending upon your attitude about them. Think hard about any boat purchase you make!! BOAT = Break out another thousand when something goes wrong usually!! Not my intention to soundnegative but just want to give a general reality before you dive in head first. Depending on your use it may be more practical to charter a few times to see where you actually are in the boating gig. Either way you will get plenty of views and advice from this site. Good luck with your decision.

I know a small bit of the pain boats are after helping my dad keep his boat running as long as I can remember. I don't remember to many trips where we didn't have the cover off of his evinrude. Even with that a boat is something I have wanted for a long time but the battle was convincing my wife that I needed a boat.

I will give you my experience I purchased a 1987 sea nymph fish and ski with a blown motor that was completely set up with 4 riggers fish finder and gps it was less than $2000 for the boat

I had a brand new 90 hp etec put on and I was all in on the boat for 13-14k the hull of the boat is fine... come cosmetic blemishes sure but a fishing machine and had a brand new motor on it that I know I baby. This along with all new wiring, new batteries the whole 9 yards.... the boat is 100% turn key and go every single time. No BS at the dock

In my opinion this is the way to go. People get all caught up in the hull and bells and whistles and forget to think about the big ticket item they are buying... A motor

For 12 k you could probably get a 2001ish lund that looks amazing!!! and a 14 year old motor opposed to a brand new motor

0526131026_zps5216e173.jpg

10012585_10101032004646292_1580590108624

Edited by bandrus1

ehhh truthfully... id stick right on here.... I trust the fishermen on this forum to be better care takers of their boats than the average person on craigs list..... I would truthfully sit down with my wife and say okay.. we have X amount we will spend on this new hobby 

And go and find yourself the best possible boat at that price 

Edited by bandrus1

Since  this is a longer term purchase.  Probably out there at least a year but realistically maybe 2-3.  I  would like to spend 5k-8k but I realize that probably will not get me much more than someones old headache.  I don't know if that is a realistic budget for what I am looking for to begin with.

how mechanically inclined are you? If not find a good marine mechanic that can look over the boat you are getting serious about  There are a lot of good boats out there on craigslist but you need to know what your looking at with the motor as bandrus said the motor is the big ticket item your buying. I would stick with the big names also for motors Johnson/evinrude, mercury, Yamaha, Honda. Stay away from Chrysler, force, etc.

I am also religious about the gas I put in the boat and usually have less issues.

It's cheaper to buy in the fall as many people don't want to winterize or store a boat.

I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined.  I do  99% of the maintenance and repairs on my vehicles and small power equipment.  Rarely do I take things back to a mechanic or dealer. I have not problem getting into and fixing something.  If a motor would need a rebuilt, that is probably out of my league.  Basic to moderately complex repairs are something that I am able to do.  

Around me there are not very many marine mechanics so I am going to need to learn what to look for.  From looking around on here it seems like rot and motor issues, leaking seals, hard starting.  I am sure there are a lot more things to look for.

ok, I have had a lot of boats now, I have done a lot of research recently on all the boat manafactures out there for the 17-19 foot aluminum boats. Here is a quick run down of what I came up with.

Lund : great boats, big price tags

Crestliner: great boat, welded hull, good prices

tracker: I would stay away from them, they develop cracks when people abuse them, looked at a few and it is hit or miss

lowe: nice boat, only use one row of rivets at the transom were everyone else is using a two row offset pattern

starcraft: great boats, big price tags

polarkraft: great boats, good prices

g3: good boat, I presonally did not like there set ups, numouos things were in the way of each other, seats hit the side when turned, hatch need seats moved to open......etc...

alumacraft good boat, high price tag

xpress: good boat, all aluminum floors, prices were resonable untill you added stuff like full windsheild, extra console, larger motor, etc...... 

mirriorcraft: good boats resonable prices

I searched for 2 years looking at each one on the list. (I was looking for a used one) but I eventually choose to go new. and bought a polarkraft 179 frontier, I was looking for something I could bass fish with, troll for salmon on ontario, troll on erie for walleyes and still be able to take the kids out for some tubing and sking. I love my boat. 

with that being said I would look for a used starcraft superfisherman or fish master, crestliner fish hawk or super hawk, or a 17-18ft lund or polarkraft

You can also go to Cabelas  and check out the boats they have on site.  They are an alumacraft dealer and can give you an idea of the layout options, etc...  I have an '08 Alumacraft Dominator 175 with a 115 E tec and I really like it.  I do wish it was about 20 ft long but other than that it fishes very well.  That being said the newer Alumacrafts have the rod lockers in the gunnels which is a HUGE detriment in my opinion if you are going to troll because its not very feasible to mount rod holders down the sides of that platform.  If you are ever going to fish during the cold weather months an Aluminum boat with an outboard is the way to go, the layout is obviously personal preference.

Have been fishing for years. About 10 we did the charter thing. All you do is real in the fish its OK but if you lost equipment some yell others know it comes with the job. So bought a boat fiberglass 19 ft. Open bow hadd it for 5 years but got tired of water over the bow as we fish mostly lake O. Found a crestliner 191 1995 with only 150 hrs. On it real sweet no fishing gear, do after down riggers GPS fish finders, radio and tons of other stuff rods reels lures never the right ones so 12,000 later love family time grand kids best money spent as it is my only toy

Thanks. I will be at bass pro this weekend and cabelas before archery season I am sure. I will definately take a look at what they have. I do plan on doing some cold weather fishing. Why is aluminum better if fishing the cold weather?

You can't run I/o after its freezing/ before its warm out without re winterizing

Some previous trash talk on Tracker I wanted to clarify... any of their new generation Deep V hulls 2011+ are great all welded boats and well laid out cost effective platforms. I have over 650hrs on mine on it's 3rd season on Lake Ontario and I arguably fish it harder then anyone to date. April through October. It's been an excellent boat on the big lake and it wouldn't nearly see the abuse on the finger lakes that I put it through here. You'll likely find a few of these used and well-priced. I would highly recommend the boat if you do. Just get a 4 stroke.

post-151421-14421427826023_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker