Starting the search and research for my first boat. Where to start?

nomad_archer

When you find the boat you THINK you love have it surveyed by a reputable marine surveyor. He/she will look it over with a fine tooth comb and (hopefully not) find problems you did not see. A survey is well worth the money.

Lou

A little something to file away in the back of your mind regarding open bow boats and keeping the water out of them. I once had a 13 ft Boston whaler for 22 years and although I view my actions then crazy now I used to go about10-15 miles out from Sodus Point chasing steelies and salmon in it (out where the seagoing vessels run). The one thing that allowed me to be that crazy was a piece of canvas that I had custom made when I bought the boat. It is called a dodger and basically it is a forward shelter or compartment that closes off the front of the boat to waves and weather that had a large heavy duty plastic "window" in the front for viewing. My kids used to sit in there and play with army men or read books etc. while I fished on the Finger Lakes too and it kept them safe and out of the sun etc and even allowed for "naps" in that little boat. It was by far the best bargain and value I have ever had for my money in my entire  life. So much so that I even had one custom made for my current Whaler  despite not needing one :) . The dodger on the little Whaler was designed and made by John Mann of Sodus Bay Canvas Co in Sodus Point and because he used top notch materials it was still on the boat and in decent condition when I sold the boat 22 years later. These pics give an idea of the current one. The dodger folds up when not in use (hence the wrinkles in the clear plastic (which come out after it is up a while). Another option is a custom bow cover to close off the front area but it is not as accessible as the dodger. A potential infrequent downside to the dodger is in high wind conditions going with the wind it picks up speed a bit. I can avoid it though because my windows all zipper out allowing the air to go through....especially nice on a hot day.

post-145411-0-76391900-1442147701_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-95974500-1442147715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

First of all you are very lucky to have the wife fishing with you that will beat out any type of boat you buy. I was in the same situation about 7 years ago started out with a 12 foot row boat and been buying bigger ever since up to 18 now. One thing to think about is storage I really wanted to store in the garage so 18 ft is max for me. The big thing for me on my last purchase was the lay out of the back of the boat all I wanted was open space with strong gunnels for the down riggers. Sounds easy but I think more boats are layed out for bass fishing then trolling. Shopping for boats is a lot of fun! I found out a crestliner and Lund are owned by a corporate giant Brunswick. Take your time and you will learn a lot don't be afraid to look out side the area. Good luck and fish on!

I think that craigslist can be a good place to look as a supplement to using this site... My dad and i recently purchased an 18 foot 1996 spectrum deep v... It handles big water great... It has a motor that only had 34 hours on it... It was an older guy whos wife had a stroke and he just never was able to go out... Those are what you need to look for on craigslist... I wouldnt do all my shopping on craigslist but start taking phone numbers of people now and then when you are ready to buy call them and see if they still have them regardless of whether or not its still posted... Great way to get cheaper boats

Great idea to take the numbers. I will do that. I saw a 2010 16' crestliner Kodiak that has my eye right now. I want to watch the price and see if it drops at all.

I did spend the day pond fishing with my wife and daughter today. We caught a few and now my wife is boat shopping. So I am making progress.