Walleye Length / weight

Prof T

Had a good morning today and brought home three. 24, 25 and 26 inches. Threw back 2 and lost one. At that length an inch makes a big difference in the weight of the fish. I decided to get the scale out and they weighed within an ounce or two of 4, 5 and 6 pounds respectively.

That's pretty typical of our St Lawrence fish and I was wondering how that compared to other guy's bodies of water? I sometimes think our pictures don't do our fish justice.

post-156305-0-07300900-1442064681_thumb.jpg

Time of the year and body of water play a big roll in weight. I got a 26.5" fish from Quinte that weighed 9.2lbs.  I caught a 28" fish from a Lake Ontario Bay that only went 7lbs.  Both were caught in the winter. 

Prof T,

Another great morning. I decided to sleep in due to rain but could have likely got a trip in.before it hit.

I haven't weighed any but a 31" that was a little over 11 lbs. Seems like 25 inches is 5 lbs. and you can add around a pound an inch after that. They will weigh more as eggs mature throughout the winter. Heaviest ones seem to come in late fall or through the ice.

I was chatting with a couple of the A Bay guides and discussing where these river walleyes come from. Some think from stocking in Ogdensburg, other think Quinte, and others think Black River and Chaumont. Perhaps they are even reproducing locally. I'd sure like to know where these river fish are reproducing so we can do what ever is needed to protect and enhance this great fishery. Does anyone have any actual data on these fish?

I'm certain that Pro T and I would be happy to volunteer for any study or enhancement projects concerning SLR walleyes.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Great questions posed here. SLR EYES are certainly hearty. It would be cool if they were local to the river. Very interested in this topic myself and would be happy to volunteer time as well with any research/conservation projects. Wonder if Steve LaPann of the DEC might have some info on this topic? I know he has conducted in depth research on many river species to include Muskie......

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

Did DEC have anything to say at their Clayton meeting regarding where "they" think they are coming from?  There has always been a population of walleye in the river. Are more people actually targeting them thus more number showing up?  Techniques have changed? Almost any point along the river, american or canadian side, or shoal along the channel, have walleye present.  I have heard tales for years of the number of walleye seen by divers but they were mostly being caught by bass fisherman by accident, not specifically targeted.  There must be some areas that they gather to spawn along the river but no one is talking :).

Edited by Mrpike59

If you'd like a general idea of what an average fish (of many species weighs) consult the table in the DEC fishing syllabus that you get when you buy your license. It has a table  for calculating an estimate based on length (e.g. 28 inch walleye = 7lbs. 10 oz. Good for ball parking but as we know they can vary a bit in either direction but it is a good "guesstimator" as well as an "aging" chart for bass.

Edited by Sk8man

In the late seventies I did some graduate research work on river muskies and know Steve LaPan. I am going to give DEC a call and see if they have any information on the river walleyes.

I also heard talk of walleyes seen by divers but I am certain their populations are higher than in the past. Many are being caught incidentally by bass fisherman and guides which was a rarity in the past.

Population is helped by the closure of spawning tribs to all fishing during the walleye closed season. I think this is the greatest thing for the fishery and we should be cognizant of it. this is probably the easiest time for poachers to decimate the populations. there are still people who will take what they can instead of conserving for tomorrow.

Lake Ontario Walleyes are under fished due to health concerns and the availability of trout and salmon. If it is your desire to catch huge Walleyes then you have the best opportunity here except for the Columbia River out west. The most active areas for large Walleyes are the bay of quinte an the Niagara bar. Do not be concerned by over harvest numbers just try for the 34 incher that is waiting for you. Lake Erie does not compare with size any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app