Owasco FLTA Tournament

Well after a long month off and fishing Ontario for the whole month I was glad to be back on the Finger Lakes.... We left the dock bright and early. We ran to the drop off and set up shop running riggers cores coppers rigs and wires. The water color was pretty green due to algae I believe so decided to run quite a few glow spoons flashers and flies to start. We trolled quite a ways before our first fish so after boxing that lake trout we switched out all the glow stuff for some of our better patterns this year and it paid off extremely well. We ended up in a spot that normally produce good numbers for us but the front definitely had it slow down.. We were still able to pick up 3 decent lake trout and one big 9lb beautiful male rainbow for our box we fell short one fish tried extremely hard looking for that brown trout all afternoon but just couldn't find one... Finger Lakes tackle and Atommik flies got it done for us today... We ended up 7th out of 16 boats and retained the club points lead with three tournaments remaining... Big shout out to Josh Bellis on his first club tournament win way to go Josh!!.. it was a crappy day weather wise but there was some great boxes brought to the club weigh in..Some big beautiful bows brought to the scales today... Awesome job by all the club members who fished and see you all at Keuka...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-148405-14422346109707_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14422346741491_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14422346919571_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14422347138532_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14422347348869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iron Duke

Nice going Mike! :yes:  beautiful FL rainbow...good luck on Keuka might want to think about "weed guards" :lol:  when I was over there for a boat ride with friends last week much of it looked nearly unfishable because of them  in the Branchport arm all over the surface. Hopefully you folks will catch a break and the current high wind will push the stuff onshore someplace beforehand.

Nice going Mike! :yes: beautiful FL rainbow...good luck on Keuka might want to think about "weed guards" :lol: when I was over there for a boat ride with friends last week much of it looked nearly unfishable because of them in the Branchport arm all over the surface. Hopefully you folks will catch a break and the current high wind will push the stuff onshore someplace beforehand.

Thanks Les yeah I hope so... Tournament 2 weeks away so hopefully it clears up a bit... I love fall fishing on the Finger Lakes, the fishing is usually decent and the scenery amazing...

Mike

Man Mike nicely done on the box, I did the same with glow early and the bite was very slow to start. We started on the North end and the fish seemed to have moved from the previous day. Ended up catching about a dozen Lakers and a nice smallie. Lost our first fish which I am sure was a silver and impressively ended up 13th with three Lakers totaling over 18 lbs. Twelve guys over 20lbs... man I gotta pick up my game...

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice bow Mike. Looked tough out there weather wise and with the front like you said. Congrats on the lead!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Man Mike nicely done on the box, I did the same with glow early and the bite was very slow to start. We started on the North end and the fish seemed to have moved from the previous day. Ended up catching about a dozen Lakers and a nice smallie. Lost our first fish which I am sure was a silver and impressively ended up 13th with three Lakers totaling over 18 lbs. Twelve guys over 20lbs... man I gotta pick up my game...

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks mike it was slow until we figured out what they wanted and how they wanted it after that it was game on!!! Hopefully this luck sticks with me for the rest of the year!

Thanks guys... Yes the fish were definitely finicky and we found that almost all our strikes came when we were on a south troll .... On a crappy weather day like that and still have like 10 boats bring in 20lb boxes is still pretty good... Says a lot about that quality of fish in that lake and some of the great fishermen we have in the club

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Thanks for sharing. Sixteen boats brought eleven rainbows to scale (limit one per boat per club rules). Owasco rainbows are back!!!!

The catfish I caught was about 10 pounds. It hit a dirty white boy spoon trolled about 50ft down over deep water.......so much for catfish being bottom feeders. Also, I caught it on a rig rod, and I thought I had a big brown, one heck of a fight.

I wish I could have fished............

Thanks for sharing. Sixteen boats brought eleven rainbows to scale (limit one per boat per club rules). Owasco rainbows are back!!!!

The catfish I caught was about 10 pounds. It hit a dirty white boy spoon trolled about 50ft down over deep water.......so much for catfish being bottom feeders. Also, I caught it on a rig rod, and I thought I had a big brown, one heck of a fight.

I wish I could have fished............

Scott Bodine caught it and he thought he had the biggest brown of his life on also...

Mike

I agree with what's been said for the day and the guys we had just under 23lbs for 3 fish and finished 10th we just could not collide with a rainbow to save our lives and also most of are bites what few we had came going north seems to be the opposite from what I have heard although I should not be that surprised somehow I always end up going against the grain lol good job to all

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app