Lake Trout Jigging

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to jig for lake trout?I have experience in trolling but want to try jigging. I usually fish Kueka lake. Any info on what type of jigs to use and how deep would be helpful.

Thanks

My wife's cousin jigs up a lot of lakers on Keuka using a large (3/4 ounce I think) silver Buckhot spoon. Same technique, drop to bottom, jig it up a couple feet, let it back down.

Only hooked 1 myself jigging, used a BPS Strata spoon (1 ounce), so I am definitely no expert.

No need to use any bait... Look in water from 50-100 feet deep.. If you see a few marks at mid depth to bottom, they are most likely lakers... Use 3/4 to 1 oz jigs.. Jig heads with white twister or fluke tails are fine.. Silver or white jigging spoons also work great.. I have caught tons of lakers on a 1 oz car wheel weight with holes and hooks and painted white.. They are not too particular.... Drop jig to bottom.. bounce on and off bottom for 30 seconds, reel up, drop down.. Vary speeds etc... One day they will only hit right on bottom, other days they will hit when it is speeding toward the surface, some days both, some days neither... If you would like a guide, John Gaulke is very good...bob

I'll add my two cents...boat control is key, and it's important to keep your line vertical so you're not "dragging". Also, your best bet is to use a superline (ie Powerpro in 12 lb test break strength...nice and thin!) with a fluorocarbon leader (6'). It really makes a difference in detecting strikes. Start off of the points, like bulletbob said, in 50 fow and look for bait balls or active fish. If you don't see them, they're still there, but more likely to be close to the bottom. Move out as necessary. Last weekend, the biggest fish were suspended, so watch your graph on the drop...the fish may come up to meet the jig. We prefer 1 oz roundheads with plastics or Deady Dick spoons (1 oz, also) unless it's rough. Then we move up to 1.5 oz saltwater type white striper jigs. Keep at it...it is really an art form, and skill shows with this type of fishing. But it is the most productive way to get lakers that I've ever found.

Gator