A little help finding fish

Wel this is my first year fishing the big O in many years. I grew up trolling out of Hughes in Williamson and was hooked as a kid. Well some 30+ years later I have started trolling the lake again out of I Bay. I have had pretty good success finding and putting up lakers with several double digit days with an 18lb being our best. We have boated a few browns, steelies and a coho but nothing consistent.

I would like to put a few kings on the deck and have FF, and dodger Jplug set ups. DR, DD, and planer boards with mast. I usually run 8 rods out of the boat just cant seem to find the fish. Yeah I know join the club, everything I have read has been that this year is a tough bite and the fact that I have been on 4 charters this year with 3 trips yielding only 1 fish and another trip being stellar. The captains have been outstanding taking time to teach and answer all my questions. I have the basics down just dont know what depth water to target this time of year when starting at 5pm. Have the fished moved out during the day because of the high sun and should I being starting in 80'-120' or should I stay inside 40' and target shallower? Tough this time of year with the sun going down so early so would like to get into the zone.

I typically fish either between shipbuilders to bear creek or head west and fish the Genny west to the ponds. Going to head west tomorrow and try the Genny.

Thanks for any insight.

Tight lines

Terry

Wel this is my first year fishing the big O in many years. I grew up trolling out of Hughes in Williamson and was hooked as a kid. Well some 30+ years later I have started trolling the lake again out of I Bay. I have had pretty good success finding and putting up lakers with several double digit days with an 18lb being our best. We have boated a few browns, steelies and a coho but nothing consistent.

I would like to put a few kings on the deck and have FF, and dodger Jplug set ups. DR, DD, and planer boards with mast. I usually run 8 rods out of the boat just cant seem to find the fish. Yeah I know join the club, everything I have read has been that this year is a tough bite and the fact that I have been on 4 charters this year with 3 trips yielding only 1 fish and another trip being stellar. The captains have been outstanding taking time to teach and answer all my questions. I have the basics down just dont know what depth water to target this time of year when starting at 5pm. Have the fished moved out during the day because of the high sun and should I being starting in 80'-120' or should I stay inside 40' and target shallower? Tough this time of year with the sun going down so early so would like to get into the zone.

I typically fish either between shipbuilders to bear creek or head west and fish the Genny west to the ponds. Going to head west tomorrow and try the Genny.

Thanks for any insight.

Tight lines

Terry

I would start in 40 fow since water is cooling and salmon are starting to stage. Spoons back 65 to 80 on riggers,Find your temp. I would keep a spread from 20 feet to bottom. J plugs should be working by now. Use those with planner in front of genny. Find your current, direction etc. If lakers are hitting alot try and bump speed up a little. This time of year salmon have a tough mouth. Keep hooks new and sharp. Remember they don't feed much during stage period. They are aggressive and very irritable. So annoying them gets them to hit. (Hint, j plugs). Other than that, patients. Happy fishing, See You Out There.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Monkeyman we picked up the first one in 22' just off summerville and the second one in 35'

ontherise it was a nice chop a solid 1-3' at times the wind and waves were strong enough that when trolling east my 15hp kicker wouldnt be enough so had to start up the main engine.

Edited by tj13825