Onondaga lake?

I think I have heard that there are a lot of walleye there too. The problem is you don't want to eat them out of that lake. At one time, I believe it was considered the most polluted freshwater lake in the country. They are still working on removing all the pollutants from the bottom of the lake. I believe they they sill don't allow swimming in the lake. But I have heard that the fishing is good there for various species. You just don't want to eat them.

I fished it for tigers a few years ago. There are certain points in the year where fish will stack up in the Seneca river mouth and I'm sure a ton of tigers do too. They stocked 10,000 3 years ago and have been stocking that portion of the Seneca river for a while now so they are definitely in there. North end is your best bet the south end is very turbid and void of structure.

How'd you do out there? 

I fish oversized bass lures over deeper weeds (usually 12-15ft) on grass lines and catch a couple mid 30's northerns every trip and a handful of tigers throughout the year. I actually find more tigers in the river, but catch them in the lake too. Biggest tiger I've got out there was only 36" but I've had follows from much bigger (I'm usually fishing for bass). I have caught northerns up to 40" in there. It's a real fun place to fish but there was 10x the pressure out there this year (I'm assuming from the articles in the paper talking it up this year). There's some big healthy fish in there, obviously no eating, however I have seen reports that walleye tagged there have been pulled out of Oneida...

There's some big healthy fish in there, obviously no eating, however I have seen reports that walleye tagged there have been pulled out of Oneida...

The distance is reasonable so it is not surprising. I imaging they could also go to many other locations through the canals but they would have to be very adventurous.

Walleye fishing is good there, but honestly what's the point? They aren't sportfish and you literally cant eat em....lets go recreate in the worst possible water available....there's world class xander fishing in chernobyl too if you are interested (im serious) its only 20 min tops from there to otisco and im pretty sure there are more and bigger tigers in otisco...and if you get water on you it isnt harmful!

Walleye fishing is good there, but honestly what's the point? They aren't sportfish and you literally cant eat em....lets go recreate in the worst possible water available....there's world class xander fishing in chernobyl too if you are interested (im serious) its only 20 min tops from there to otisco and im pretty sure there are more and bigger tigers in otisco...and if you get water on you it isnt harmful!

I agree, I don't think anyone is suggesting targeting walleye there. Same for for the tigers - I don't target them there, just a good by catch. I enjoy Onondaga for the good bass fishing and best pike fishing in CNY - I've always liked fishing for Northerns. Otisco can be tough in summer months, but it's definitely where I go when I'm targeting tigers. Also the campground launch is about 40 minutes for me but I can have my boat in the water on Onondaga in 15-20 minutes for those shorter 2-3hr trips.

I made a 2-3 hr trip this past week on onondaga and caught 6-7 fish including a 5lb 14oz lmb, 3.5lb smallie and a 35" northern, not too many places around here where thats possible.

Either way I have a blast at either lake, we're lucky to have such good fishing here.

Edited by Cuse

I made it out for about 3 hours saturday morning. Casted for about an hour and had a nice tiger, upper 30s maybe 40 follow into a figure 8 but then took off. Switched over to troll for the remainder and picked up a 33" tiger and mid 20s northern.

Ran into some SUNY Biology students that had the nets out for walleye, they said they see walleyes in the 8lb range. They also said that they see tigers that migrate in from otisco.. whether that is true or they are just seeing spring spawning behavior in the creeks..

post-158192-0-19877400-1442852004_thumb.png

There are definitely tigers from Otisco in there, they spill over from the dam and go down 9 mile. Tons of tigers in the creek. I saw 6 tigers over 30" in one hole earlier this year and one was in the mid 40s (caught a 36 for reference). Nine mile connects to Onondaga so that is one place they come in from.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United