Any help would be great.

lily

I have a thompson 21 ftr. Got the boat at a decent price. I have not had the time to get it in the water this year but have been working on refurbing the boat. Anyway after rebuilding the Rochester carb the boat purrs like a kitten. However now I can't get it to Shift in to gear. It makes a ticking sound and then stalls the motor. Booth forward and reverce. Any ideas would be great. I'm thinking maybe to high a iddle but not sure. Have no tac. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I wrestled with this very same problem. Perhaps this might help your situation Trying to Lube up the cabel doesn't work - I tried.  I replaced the lower shift cable and my problems went away.  Took about  1.5 hours - the first half hour spent reading the service manual.  the differne was night and day.  No more clicking, no more stalling and I didn't have to mess with the shift interrupt switch at all.  After the new cable is in  adjusting the shift cable can be finickey and a second set of hands is helpful so you don't have to climb in and out of the boat ten times like I did.  Go with small adjustments.  One turn of that barrel nut can make all the difference.  If you do decide to replace it, order a newer style shift shaft seal as well.  The old design fails and allows water to leak into the small cavity where the shift cable attatches to the outdrive which is usually what causes the cable to fail ( you mentioned a Rochester carb, so I'm assuming GM Mercruiser/Alpha setup)    If that cable is currently shifing hard and snaps when you are out on the water you could  in for a long day.  Hope this helps.

Yes it is a mercruiser 244 thanks for the input on the cables. I messed with the o of cable adjustment and did not have any improvement. Bigest problem I have is there is no marine mechanics anywhere near where I live. About a 1 he drive for parts or service. Also I'm pretty new to onboard out board. I understand car motors and do pretty well with out boards. So I try to combine the two. But things like lower shift cables I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks a lot for the response. Are the cables a dificult change. I would rather spend the hours drive going to a lake to fish. Thanks again.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app