2015 NYS hunting regulation changes

Legacy

A lot of talk about the changes for this season. I thought i would post some links for everyone to educate themselves on the changes for this season. I try but Ill be the first to admit that i am not informed enough on what is happening. I believe the DEC is clueless in the way they handle these things!

Heres a link to the changes in hunting laws...http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8312.html

Heres a link to the comments the DEC received prior to these changes... http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/103040.html

Heres a link to the 2010 hunters survey... http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/hdrudeer10.pdf

Heres a link to the 2012-2016 management plan for whitetail deer in NYS... http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerplan2012.pdf

Quote from NYSDEC website...

In WMUs 1C, 3M, 3S, 4J, 8A, 8C, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8N, 9A, and 9F, deer populations are resulting in unacceptable impacts to residents and local ecosystems, and greater antlerless deer harvests are needed to achieve desired population levels. Offering increasing numbers of Deer Management Permits (DMPs; antlerless tags) each year has no longer been a productive way of increasing antlerless take, and changes were needed to direct hunter effort towards antlerless deer.

"Strategy 2.2.6: Where deer populations are above desired levels and DMP quotas may exceed applicant base, initiate a progressive and adaptive approach to increase antlerless harvest by: (Phase 1) expanding the use of Bonus DMPs; (Phase 2) making a portion of the early bowhunting season and late muzzleloading season valid only for antlerless deer; and (Phase 3) implementing a special antlerless-only season for muzzleloader hunters in these areas."

70% of my hunting is done in 8A. Theres is not an over abundance of deer. Not even close.

Brian we have been getting extra doe tags for quite a few years now. They were free and offered even after the season was under way. A hunter could go to this region that covers 8A and beyond and just ask for them at no charge.

What has been explained to me by an officer is that the majority of bow hunters target older bucks and seldom shoot does all season. The data from deer kill reports support the facts. They also have had an inordinate amount of deer vehicle MVA reports from this area and almost all are does involved. The ratio on both accounts of buck to doe kill is way out of balance both accidentally and by hunters.

The next problem is there is very little public access in the area and many private farms along with thick residential settled areas and the deer have basically a little sanctuary of no pressure.

My opinion is that they will not effectively reduce doe population this way by simply forcing hunters to kill does. Hunters are still not going to have access to all properties to hunt anything any different. The actual best way is to have quality deer management practices going on where ever hunters are allowed to hunt on these private lands. Trouble is the DEC cannot control landowners like they can TRY to control hunters, so nothing will change there.

Every time I go on route 18 to the launches at Point Breeze, I take years of brake lining and tire rubber off my boat trailer trying to avoid the mecca of does crossing down past Kuckville. There are really a lot of does there between lakeshore and 18. It's thick too because most of the land is Amish owned and what they don't farm is left overgrown and tough to hunt if you can even get permission.

A couple points.

First, there's no way that even an increased bowhunting take is going to make a serious dent in a doe population. The final numbers won't lie, but I'll be surprised to see this phase 2 effort result in more than a handful of doe above what's already harvested.

Second, it's not that does aren't being harvested by bowhunters, it's just that we're waiting to shoot our "meat" until later in the season so as not to screw up a stand, etc...Between three of us who hunt together and bonus tags, we usually harvest ~6-8 doe a year. My students usually take at least three of these off my hands. Nearly all of these animals are shot in late gun season or muzzleloader. Personally, this two week doe bonanza is going to make zero difference in my harvest practices.

Third, the increasingly fragmented woodlots around New York State are becoming more conducive to sanctuaries developing. It's rare that several parcels are combined during a sale, but it's common to break up a larger lot. This results in more landowners, each with different expectations. All it takes is one owner to forbid hunting, and all the deer find that spot during the season. Deer go where they're not harassed. It also makes it harder to get permission when you have multiple landowners in an area, each with their own guys hunting...who may or may not kill does. And management becomes a nightmare. This isn't going to change and it's likely to get worse.

yea I have hunted western Monroe county for 15 yrs or so, the numbers are at a all time low. Yet they handing out tags left and right. Where I hunt in stuben county the deer numbers are astonishing, 10 to 20 deer a sit, like it use to be in Monroe. and I got denied for my second tag down ther. Realy??? I personaly will not take a doe in Monroe county until I see the numbers come back. They need to talk to guys that actually sit in a tree more than just a sat morning and then talk about it the rest of the time drinkin coffe. What do we realy expect its nys politics. change to saturday opener, earlier season start,  cross bow, early muzzle = $$$$$ = better state pensions, Whats next????????

Wow is this whole stuff getin out of control.

A lot of the reasoning is to decrease the doe population in the DEC's answers. Wouldn't it be better to give out more doe tags?

With the additional tags handed out I actually get 3 doe tags for 8a every year

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app