Any beer enthusiasts here

bandrus1

I'm fairly certain that there's not only some beer nuts, but a few beer crafters, as well. You know Kurt who caught that 33 lb laker a couple years ago on Gambell's boat? He grows hops and organizes a festival near Canandaigua.

Why? You have something in mind? LOU Beerfest? It is that time of year...

I'm fairly certain that there's not only some beer nuts, but a few beer crafters, as well. You know Kurt who caught that 33 lb laker a couple years ago on Gambell's boat? He grows hops and organizes a festival near Canandaigua.

that would be fun!

Yup.  I'm also a home brewer.

Not a big drinker but good drafts are where its at for me. Rohrbach Scotch ale WAS my fav until we were at Sodus Pro-Am and I tasted a "Raging ****" at Captain Jack's. I think they said it was from the Flying dog brewery in MD.

Aye, Captain, it's a great beer if yer having only 1.

Tis 8.3% alcohol...having 3 would be like a 6 pack of regular brew. ^_^:D

I like beer and pretzels. So Shock top has a pretzel flavored offering..not bad! I did craft a beer once. Lots of fun but hard to wait for 30 days before trying it. Once made a very strong 7.7 % dark ale that one of my friends did not let spoil!...and stayed over a couple times :rolleyes:-_-

If you like IPA's and can get it...Ohio has it...not NY yet...but Carolina, GA....Sweetwater has a bunch of

different IPA's etc.   Base one is the 420 and its pretty tasty if you like IPA's.

Did have a Great Lakes Monster yday, not too bad......

Just finished the last few bottles of a batch of Belgian Trippel I brewed, 8.9% ABV. Had a few at 30 days and it was way to sweet for me, so I forgot about it for about 5 months. Aged well into a good beer, but not as bitter as I prefer. This was made from a malt extract kit, as I am still just the occasional homebrew hobbyist. Bud Light is my staple, but for craft beers, I like pale ale's and IPA's.

I'm with Mike Engle on the Dogfish Head and Bells, although I prefer their 90' and Oberon. Those two beers are staples at our summer lab BBQs. 

My brewing days are past, but I used to brew quite a bit. Here's a funny story:

Years ago, when I first started graduate school, I brewed up a batch of beer with another guy in the lab and we used an ultracentrifuge to clear the yeast from the wort prior to bottling. Unfortunately, it worked too well and we didn't get enough carbonation. So, we made a mini-wort and added a teaspoonful to each bottle, then capped them and waited.

Well, it was during a tour of the lab by some university bigwigs that the bottles that we'd stored under the bench started exploding. Once the first one went, it set off a chain reaction. Crap. So the other guy, who used to work on Drosophila (fruit flies), which eat yeast, says calmly, "Dang, too much pressure in those bottles of fly food". And all was well.

The worst part was that we lost most of the batch. 

Now, this was twenty five years ago and would never happen these days...as I'm sure graduate students have evolved since then  ;)

Edited by Gator

3 Heads is a Rochester brewing company and is great stuff the "Rochestafarian" is my favorite. Great Lakes " Burning River" is also at the top of my list! Other then that Miller Light is an all day kinda beer! " Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"!