Any beer enthusiasts here

bandrus1

Growlsh.....How'd I do?

Do a bit brewing myself. I stick to the corn and rye beers mostly

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

How did you do? ok but not great. It will probably get better as you drink more.

Does anybody around here make a halfway decent barley wine?

I am half way thru my 3rd year of sobriety but before that I was a classic beer snob and I would say that the best beer is by far the hardest thing to determine.  I have made beer that I thought about dumping because I didn't like the flavor and my friends drank it up.  To each their own - there is no right or wrong answer.  MHEO:  As far as IPA's go...  I did a massive taste test about 5 years ago and 90minute is the best by far.  Blue moon (No produce) taste better iced cold and Belgians taste better out of a large snifter served just below room temp.  I have more advice but I need to be drinking to tap into it and that will not happen for another 2.5 years.  I have a Belgian Quad waiting for me that I made several years ago.  Yes high gravity beer can be cellered like fine wine.

I can not keep up with all of the new microbreweries and brew pubs these days.  But that is ok, I am saving money for more material things and hopefully saving my life.  Beer is proof that God loves us.  Enjoy - but not too much at once...

I love all beer.  Never met one I didn't like.  The explosion of the "craft" scene in North America in the past 10 years makes for a very enjoyable hobby.  My personal goal: drink one of every beer there is.  I'm at #1143 different beer as of yesterday.

When I'm on business or family trips I keep an eye out for local breweries.  If I'm having a beer with a meal out, I always ask it there are local options.  That used to be a weird question, but now it's considered normal.

What I don't care for is the snobbery that sometimes comes with the scene.  I like the vast and ever-expanding variety we have now.  I have a number of $20+ bottles in the aging process.  I have a full fridge or assorted craft beers.  And shelf with a macro beer (usually Coors Light, Bud, MGD, Lucky, Laker, etc).  That shelf is the go-to for a simple cold beer.  But primarily for friends who don't like to stray too far from their path.

I can always find a beer for anyone in my fridge.  And if I show up at your house/camp/BBQ and you hand me a Lucky Lager or a Natty Lite, I'm saying "Thank you!".  Anyone who rolls their eyes at another man's drink choice needs a swift boot upside the head.

In my opinion, the best beer is the one in my hand.   :beer::P

Well, it was during a tour of the lab by some university bigwigs that the bottles that we'd stored under the bench started exploding. Once the first one went, it set off a chain reaction. Crap. So the other guy, who used to work on Drosophila (fruit flies), which eat yeast, says calmly, "Dang, too much pressure in those bottles of fly food". And all was well.

That happened to my Dad... he used to brew beer when we lived in Elliot Lake at least 40 years ago.  He would bottle them (in stubbies,eh?) and store them in 24 packs in the hall closet.   One night when Mom & Dad were out and we had a babysitter, the bottles started exploding.  Poor babysitter had no idea what was going on... until the funky pool started creeping out from under the closet door.

Ciao!

Best I have found?  Buffalo Sweat oatmeal stout out of Tallgrass Brewing in Kansas.  Can only get it west of the Mississippi.  Can't go wrong with anything from Southern Tier.  I only live 10 mins from there.  Seasonal favorite?  Nosferatu out of Great Lakes in Cleveland.  My favorite IPA?  Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA.  Revolver Blood and Honey out of Fort Worth is very good.  Was very excited last month as I got my hands on 4 different beers from Spiteful Brewing in Chicago.  Had a saison aged in Absinthe barrels.  Hated them all.  Give Purple Haze a try for a lighter selection.  A raspberry wheat beer out of Louisiana.  Tried it because of the name and liked it every since.

I have been brewing my own beer for years. Even got into all grain brewing. I have not made a batch in over a year and have decided to sell all the equipment, grain mill, brew pot, carboys, bottling wand, buckets, mash tun, wort chiller and more. If anyone is interested in buying some or all PM me.

for the last three years I headed way over to Seattle, WA to an event called "Hops & Props."  It's sponsored by the Museum of Fllight as one of their major fundraisers.  Last year they had over 70 different breweries, each having from two to six beers to sample.  They allow limited attendance so you're not waiting 20 minutes for a five minute sample.  Get as many samples as you want...almost all craft beers.

It's right on the floor of the museum &, if I can find it, I have a pic of myself sampling a beer at the nose gear of an SR-71 spyplane.  Below is a scan of the program and you'll notice that guests are instructed to "refrain from touching or setting your beer or plates down on any aircraft.  A drink ring on the wing of a WWI fighter doesn't look good.

Tickets go for sale on line in the Fall & sell out in about two weeks.

Now, that's a craft beer lover's dream!!

Hope to see you there next year!

I made a .pdf scan of the brochure...How do I attach it to this thread?

• 2 weeks later...

post-140268-14441804219352_thumb.jpg

post-140268-14441804332569_thumb.jpg

post-140268-14441804475515_thumb.jpg

This gave me a buzz!..Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale..tastes pretty good but WHAM! Not for the guy having more than one...ok maybe two. A nice amber red but slightly heavy ale. IT IS STRONG!...and I am getting comfortably numb.

It's not Gator Tail...that's just the glass I had in the freezer.

Founders Brewers Grand Rapids Mi.

post-140268-14441804342495_thumb.jpg

Edited by skipper19

Best I have found? Buffalo Sweat oatmeal stout out of Tallgrass Brewing in Kansas. Can only get it west of the Mississippi. Can't go wrong with anything from Southern Tier. I only live 10 mins from there. Seasonal favorite? Nosferatu out of Great Lakes in Cleveland. My favorite IPA? Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. Revolver Blood and Honey out of Fort Worth is very good. Was very excited last month as I got my hands on 4 different beers from Spiteful Brewing in Chicago. Had a saison aged in Absinthe barrels. Hated them all. Give Purple Haze a try for a lighter selection. A raspberry wheat beer out of Louisiana. Tried it because of the name and liked it every since.

i heard purple haze was really good, I will give it a try. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 months later...

Those snap caps remind me of the incredible beer we had in Germany for the three years I was there. There was one called Frankenthaler that would as one of my buddies used to say "knock your  d..k into your shirt pocket" :lol: It had a grey scum on the head and they said that it was about 14 to 15 percent alcohol and it came in liter bottles.

I just finished making my first ever beer. Some Irish Stout. Tastes great but need to pour it 16 inches from the glass to get any kind of head on it.

Awesome, how long did it carbonate for? Ive found that if I dont have a good enough head it just needs to sit another week. Also check the temp of where your storing it while it carbonates. Edited by KilliansRed

Patriot, Is it carbonated with no head or no carbonation at all? 

If it is not carbonated - try getting the bottle temp up into the low to mid 70s for a few days.  If you still do not have it - mix with your favorite pale ale and call it a black and tan.  Many a night I fell asleep before I finished my beer and it was flat the next morning - I am not one to waste - so that beer went in the fridge and was mixed the folling day with a fresh one to bring it back to life.  This also works if you forget the primer. :beer:

If it is carbonated but looks flat...  A little bit more complicated...

Here is a good read.  If you have questions about home brewing - just google it.  There are a lot of resources now.  When I started there were several books and a few older statesman that gave me some tips.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/03/homebrewing-troubleshooting-head-retention-and-carbonation.html

I carbonated it for 2 weeks after bottling but the temp may have been a little too cool. I have it in a 70 degree temp room right now. And I gave the bottles a quick turn upsidedown to mix things up a bit. Even if it doesn't change things, its ok because it tastes real good.

I did a bit of reading and some use Nitrogen when on tap.

My son has been working on getting a micro brewery going for the last year and a half in N. C.....Do you guy's think it is to late to get into that business ? I hope it works out,, but not so sure.

They finally are starting their first batch this Mond ay

It is difficult to say.  It seems to be the trend for sure lately, however, I believe there is room for those who have a good plan.  It takes more than good beer to thrive and even survive for that matter.  Hopefully he has a business partner(s) who knows bottom line dollars but also allows the master brewer to do his end.  My personal opinion is that the bean counters start looking to make more money by cutting corners and it ultimately ends up hurting the quality and eventually the business.  They both have to work in unison.

Know your customer base - what do they want?  A 1st place finish in a belgian category will do little for college town yuppies who want fruit in their beer.  Sometimes a simple working man's lager will be the best seller.  Sometimes IPA is all that moves.  A lager, Pale Ale, Stout, and IPA would be my 1st 4 for variety and then expand.  There is a book called starting your own microbrewery but it is alil late if he has already opened.  I wish him well.  Beer is proof that God loves us.