Trolling buckets, how big should the hole be?

I'm thinking 2.5", but not sure. I have decided to just use 5-gallon buckets for trolling and drifting vs buying drift bags. Why, you ask? Because I don't use them enough to justify buying bags. My 15hp motor does a great job while trolling in my 19ft aluminum center console. So I really only need them on ocassion when drift fishing because I also have a 70# thrust electric trolling motor. In certain conditions I might want to use my 90hp motor for trolling, and 2 buckets should be fine for that...? If not I will invest in some bags.

Is 2.5" good enough, or should I go bigger or smaller? Thanks in advance.

Thanks darkwater1. I'm seeing several opinions on the internet. Some suggest several holes in the bottom, some suggest several holes in the side about 4 inches up from the bottom, some suggest a combination of holes on the sides and at least one hole in the bottom. Either way, it seems like multiple 1" holes would work better than 1 hole in the bottom.

My friend's dad used buckets back in the early 1980's on Lake Michigan, but I don't remember how he had the buckets drilled. The buckets are $2.98 at Lowes, so I'm not afraid to experiment a little. I might start out with 6 holes and see how that works, unless someone chimes in with an idea that works better.

Six to eight 1" holes in the bottom will work fine.  One thing you definitely want to do though is remove that metal handle.  They break off at bad times.  What I did is drill thru the bucket where the handle is and attach a rope.  Then attach the main rope to the bucket rope.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

EZ storage is always important. Do the bags ever mold easily?

I also use my 14ft boat for drift fishing, and I figured I could store the buckets one inside the other, and also use them to store equipment that I use in both boats. Then all I have to do is grab a bucket (or both) and I have some of what I need. I'm sure I'll invest in a bag or 2 down the road. But buckets will get me through the rest of this season and into the spring 2016 season.

Good point about replacing the metal handles with rope!

I put about 12 3/4" or 5/8" holes in bottom  . Also remove metal handle and drill 4 holes for harness in ring  where handle was. take 3/8 3' or so section of rope and make harness so you can attach lead line to boat & you pull from center. one on each side of boat  bucket tied midship so it drags in front of your riggers. Take time to adjust rope length. Been using for 30 years. Work great.Big part of my presentation. They are in & out of the water all day long. 

Thanks for the input Has Been! What size boat and motor are you running? I can see a need for these if I have to use my main motor on Lake Ontario if the wind and current are too much for my 15hp kicker. The wind really makes it hard for my kicker motor if I have my bimini open. It catches the wind like a parachute, even though it stays tight on the bows and frame.

I use 2 buckets with 2 -3" holes in bottom to slow my 22' hard top islander with 130 hp io. Pull or add buckets to get speed desired. Can get to 1.8 mph with this set up.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the feedback since my last post. I decided on five 1" holes in the bottom of both buckets, 1 in the center and 4 near the edge. I figured if I need more holes I can always drill more holes. If I drill too many holes I have to buy a new bucket.

I used both buckets for drifting in my 19ft boat yesterday. We had a light wind of 5-9 mph and the buckets worked great. I didn't troll with the buckets because I used my 15hp motor for trolling duties.

Thanks again and best of luck out there!

Thanks for the feedback since my last post. I decided on five 1" holes in the bottom of both buckets, 1 in the center and 4 near the edge. I figured if I need more holes I can always drill more holes. If I drill too many holes I have to buy a new bucket.

I used both buckets for drifting in my 19ft boat yesterday. We had a light wind of 5-9 mph and the buckets worked great. I didn't troll with the buckets because I used my 15hp motor for trolling duties.

Thanks again and best of luck out there!

Take your drill with you on the boat,drill and try out till you get what you want for speed. :o

Take your drill with you on the boat,drill and try out till you get what you want for speed. :o

That's a good idea. I have a 2 stroke VRO, so it is always a concern of mine to keep the RPM's high enough no not foul the spark plugs if I have to use the main motor for trolling. Keeping the RPM's high enough without going too fast might be a challenge. Drift bags are cheaper than a new prop with a different pitch. I think the buckets will work but I might not get to try it this year due to travel plans for my employer. October will be my next fishing opportunity, and my son wants to take our 14ft boat out on the smaller local lakes next time out.

I just have one small hole in the bottom of my pails.   I run another rope through that hole so when I retrieve them I can "tip" them instead of hauling 5 gallons of water out of the lake.

Only rarely do they bump the boat, and I'm going to guess it doesn't effect the fishing any more than the sound of the outboard does.

2 buckets will get my 18' Tracker with a 75 hp down to 1 mph or less.

I just have one small hole in the bottom of my pails.   I run another rope through that hole so when I retrieve them I can "tip" them instead of hauling 5 gallons of water out of the lake.

Only rarely do they bump the boat, and I'm going to guess it doesn't effect the fishing any more than the sound of the outboard does.

2 buckets will get my 18' Tracker with a 75 hp down to 1 mph or less.

When you say small hole, how small? And what diameter rope are you running through that hole? Dumping water is easier than dragging a full bucket, especially while the boat is still moving forward. I can easily tie a rope through one of my 5 holes and add a dump line that way. Thanks for the idea.

Ah, now I need to reveal the true "low tech" I employ.....

I use a 3/8  line to attach to the metal handle of the bucket and then tie off to a forward cleat to get the right distance down the side of the boat.   About 2/3 the way back on my 18' works well for me.

Other than the one time I forgot to pull the bucket in, I've never had an issue with them letting go, and even then it just bent the handle a bit.... :thinking: .

I just use plain clothes line for the line through the bottom of the bucket.     I had some old fiberglass plow markers (1/4") that I cut into 6" lengths.   Feed the line through the bottom of the bucket, tie to the stake, and that's it.    

Thinking about it, I'm going to widen my hole to an 1" or so, as I have some issues with suction not letting the bucket release as I pull it out.

I let the bucket out, along with the "tip" line.   Tie off the bucket and the tip line.   (Tip line will be a few feet longer to let the bucket face into the water freely.

When I'm done, I just pull the tip line.     The bucket comes in bottom first, and (especially with a bigger hole) once you get the bottom out, air gets in and breaks the suction.

Hope this helps!

Edited by JimB

Thanks again Jim. I know there has to be some science behind choosing the proper size and number of holes to get the right effect from the bucket. I bought 2 more buckets for my other boat (13' 6") and I will try three 1" holes with those in my 19ft boat with my big motor to see how well they work at keeping my RPM's higher without going too fast. I'll take my drill with me so I can drill more holes if needed, but that way I can fine-tune my buckets. I've noticed that drift bags have different size holes on both ends, depending on who makes the bags, and I'm sure they do it for a different reason. I know I need more drag when trolling with my main motor, and maybe three 1" holes will work better than 5... or maybe not. I think my next trip out with the boat will be October 11th or 12th. Firewood has to get done first, and dead trees need to fall before all the leaves fall.

I think the difference between drift bags and our buckets is going to be the size of the opening.   Bigger opening means higher volume of water, hence larger exit holes.    

Other than the hole the tip line runs through on mine, I have no other holes.

I think the difference between drift bags and our buckets is going to be the size of the opening.   Bigger opening means higher volume of water, hence larger exit holes.    

Other than the hole the tip line runs through on mine, I have no other holes.

I agree, which is why I will try three 1" holes in these new buckets and compare them to the buckets that have five 1" holes. Trying to get the right balance of water volume entering the bucket vs water volume exiting the bucket. I know I'm probably giving this way more thought and effort than the average guy, but that's how I approach the unknown. I suffer from OCD with certain things, and I guess my boat falls into that category.