Fisher

EYE TRACKER

They have expanded considerably since reintroduction and protection. There was some thought that they may open them up to trapping this year but it was shot down. They are nasty killers. They kill Raccoons (talk about a loud fight!), porcupines, squirrels, rabbits, Pine Martens.....anything they can catch and kill. I am sure they do a number on Turkey and Grouse eggs also.

I had one on camera two winters ago in Alfred. I emailed the DEC the picture and asked a few questions. I was told In the southern tier the population was starting to rebound. They also wanted to know what kind of habitat he was in and a general area. I guess they are working with colleges and trying to put a study together as well they several hair traps to get a better estimate on their range and numbers. I though it was nice to hear some feed back

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have had a pair on my land for the past three years ( Tompkins co) just saw one a week ago near that area. They have decimated the squirrel population. Its great sitting in a stand and not hearing a chirping red squirrel! They haven't seemed to hurt my grouse population. Turkey's are down in numbers but I'm seeing a few broods in the ten to thirteen number, they will rebound. They leave a really cool track in the snow with their tail looking like a snake path.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I still see the family of them , grouse population is down worse than I have seen in 15 years, also noticed squirrel is down but chipmunk are everywhere, had one lastnight in the yard chasing a rabbit, didn't get it but was able to spot light it for a couple minutes, let my lead beagle out and she ran it off.... kinda funny....

Just ask the guys in northern Wisconsin how they feel about them. You will see your small game population dissappear including turkeys. It started with their snowshoe hare, all other game birds, squirrels cotton tails.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't think the woods around the southern tier are dense enough to support a thriving population. There are some larger untamed tracts but mostly open forest and farm land. Our small game numbers are absolutely off the chain right now south of Almond

I am about 3 miles out of town the track of land behind my house is about 500 acre, but only 3/4 mile to the next road, I found there den tonight in the creek bottom and confirmed there's a family, now I wonder how long do the young live at home? It's fall leaves are changing? Will they leave or stay, either way me and the Mrs love to watch them ..... we can see them from the hill side and watch them play...

They aren't the dark woods animals anymore, there's no food there so they had to leave...

They are booming in farm country! Plenty of edges that hold game, beaver ponds, and everything else.

Eye Tracker, the last thing I would do is turn a beagle out on one...you don't want her trashin' off when you hunt and at night the fisher will likely turn on her.