Lund Boat Raffle/Tournament

Fbog12

Keep the comments/suggestions coming! Lots of great input. This could be a fun time for us all.

You guys are the best!

Sounds good only way the guys I know would jump in for $500 would be if winner gets boat. For a $500 entry fee tournament guys expect big money or the big prize. And with big money and big entry fee you need a great rule structure. Like observers, also guys that troll won't dump big entry fee money to fish against guys that aren't trolling. I like the idea and its nice to see someone in the area working on a tournament. Sean

Just think its not fair and IMHO I would have them separately. Also to get the non fisher person to buy a ticket have a choice BOAT or take the money. This works good down my way with gun raffles... then use the tunry as the drawing date.....you can still do the extra tickets for the turny boats but also have prize just for that.....it would take much more work selling ticket.... good luck either way you go.

Bandrus, its impossible to get an observer...for the FLX.. Honestly its the main reason I dropped future planning of the seneca shootout...

I'd like to bring it back but everyone complained because they fish different ports. That's why we made it a one time shot gun start from the same location. I would like to actually organize this for next summer out of Sampson state park and possibly use proceeds to the marina as a fundraiser. Nys wants to shut the marina down there...

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good idea Nick you can use his ticket idea along with it make it a 50/50 drawing. Then durning the LT derby those tickets could also be sold daily out of Samson.

Nick

I am all for helping Sampson marina. It is very disappointing to hear the state wants to close the marina down. Perhaps a separate thread focusing on this topic would make sense. I believe you started a petition thread in the past. I don't get out to fish that often but would really like to contribute to the Sampson marina cause.

Once my lake season is over I will get going on the shootout idea again. We had a lot of fun at the last one...

If the date is open for me I'd be in Nick.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would agree that the chance to win the boat should be separate from winning the tournament. I would think that it would deter someone from entering at all, especially if they are not from the area and feel that they don't have a real shot at winning. 

Bandrus, its impossible to get an observer...for the FLX.. Honestly its the main reason I dropped future planning of the seneca shootout...

I'd like to bring it back but everyone complained because they fish different ports. That's why we made it a one time shot gun start from the same location. I would like to actually organize this for next summer out of Sampson state park and possibly use proceeds to the marina as a fundraiser. Nys wants to shut the marina down there...

Observers are actually pretty easy to coordinate - each team has to provide one to swap with another team. The swap is randomly done at a captains meeting the night before. We currently do it for all the major salmon/trout events on Lake Ontario (pro-am's, invitationals, OOO, etc.). And I agree, big money/stakes events need to have observers otherwise you open the event to teams holding fish (even if checked prior to shotgun start, they could have them staged on stringers), swapping fish with other teams/boats, etc. With observers you could also make it a no-communication event. 

I know how observer tournaments work. I fish them quite often on lake Ontario. The difference is, its the finger lakes, the pay outs aren't big enough and nobody wants to ride on a smaller boat. Ontario is one thing where most competitive teams are fishing 25-40 footers. With the 31 foot being most common. Most finger lakes boats are set up for a group of two to three, and to add an observer could either leave the boat cramped or unsafe....

Again, thanks for all the great input and comments and suggestions.  Seems to be many varied opinions.  We're always open to input so if you think of anything else just please keep posting.  We'll try to look at all the input and come up with something that's fair and fun!!

Wouldn't spend $500 to get in a tourney for a cheesy price... The reason people will join is for the boat, Raffle should be door prizes.

Who is going to spend $500 just to get their name randomly stuck in a loto to have more chances then some shmoo that bought a $10raffle ticket... Go out fish, win a tourney, then win some door prize that wasn't even worth the time... that would be a real bummer and pretty much end any future tourneys.

If non locals wanna have a chance at the boat, get in the tourney. There is a lot of things anglers can do off the water to level the playing field come tourney day.

Edited by FishingTheFL

If you want a non tourny, non troller's opinion, here it goes.  I would buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win a boat but I won't get a 2 man team together to participate in the tourney because of a 1 in 100-500 chance to win a boat.  Are the odds right?  I don't gamble either.

I am trying to understand the logistics of it and it seems hard to do something that large on Canandaigua.  Other than that, it is a pretty cool idea.  Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

Down size the rig a little. drop price of ticket. have the tourney. payout for top spots. is this a trout only deal? the more species = more payouts. Those that place in tourney get an additional raffle ticket (s) maybe overall winner gets 2 more. others get 1. shake the can and pull the winner.

i am fine with canandaigua lake sometime mid to late june. after Can. Trout Derby

Good luck!

Dan