9th Annual Mark Troy Musky Tournament, Sat Oct. 3rd

The 9th annual Mark Troy Memorial Musky Tournament will be held Saturday October 3rd on Waneta Lake. It is put on by Jim Reynolds, Bob Saucke and Captain Ed Cragg in memory of Jim's friend and fishing partner, Mark Treau, who passed away in 2006 with cancer. Bob is recovering from an operation on his knee due to an accident at work so he won't be operating a judge boat this year.

This is a catch and release tournament. Judge boats are used to verify your catch. Tournament hours will be 7 am til 3:30 pm. Morning fog could delay the start. Registration will be at the boat launch between 6 and 7 am. The entry fee is $25 per angler and this is a cash tournament with prizes for first, second and third place. I do not have all the rules but I believe they will be the same as last year and will be provided to participants before the start of the tournament. After 4PM will be the awards, then a cookout, raffle table, 50/50 raffle and group picture. Bring your own drinks. I believe it will be at the cottage on Swarthout point as usual.

If you have any questions, you can call Jim at 585-670-0422 or post them here.

Contact Jim if you want to stay at the cottage. I believe there is still room.

Edited by muskiedreams

The more the merrier.

Do you have all the right release tools and a big rubber coated net?

With this tournament, you have to keep the fish in the net at boatside until a judge boat comes to verify your catch. You will be given a flag to use to signal the judge boat but you can also contact by VHF radio or possibly cell phone.

This is technically not a Muskies Inc Chapter 69 tournament. it is run by the three guys listed above. Winners are determined by length. First place being the longest fish and so on.

NY Muskies Inc.Chapter 69 will have a tournament on Sat., Oct. 24th in which the winners will be determined by a points system. 4 points for a 30" fish and 1 point for each additional inch. Highest points wins 1st place and soon. There will probably be a separate $5 to enter big fish prize where big fish takes all.

Both tournaments are catch and release so all fish must be successfully released to count. No exceptions.

The more the merrier.

Do you have all the right release tools and a big rubber coated net?

With this tournament, you have to keep the fish in the net at boatside until a judge boat comes to verify your catch. You will be given a flag to use to signal the judge boat but you can also contact by VHF radio or possibly cell phone.

This is technically not a Muskies Inc Chapter 69 tournament. it is run by the three guys listed above. Winners are determined by length. First place being the longest fish and so on.

NY Muskies Inc.Chapter 69 will have a tournament on Sat., Oct. 24th in which the winners will be determined by a points system. 4 points for a 30" fish and 1 point for each additional inch. Highest points wins 1st place and soon. There will probably be a separate $5 to enter big fish prize where big fish takes all.

Both tournaments are catch and release so all fish must be successfully released to count. No exceptions.

Yes I have a big rubber coated landing net, pliers, and cutters.  Thanks for explaining I was under the impression this was a points system derby and associated with chapter 69 as well. 

Can anyone put me in touch with who is in charge of the cook out I would like to donate the meat i can bring it in on the Thursday before and keep it at my pizza joint and deliver it on Saturday love this tournament and would like to donate something let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

haha, this went from Brent being a gentleman and offering to make generous donations to the tournament to him getting a lashing for being an eagles fan! (Typical disgruntled Bills fans :mooning: )

Now I REALLY wish I could be there for this! If Nikki asks why I didn't make it to her little brother's wedding will you guys help me come up with an alibi?

My wife and I will be coming in on Friday night and are looking for a close by hotel to stay at for the night. Can anyone tell me a few places to checkout and/or the name of the boat launch or the road its on so I can get my directions and plans figured out?  We have never been to this area.  Thanks in advance we are really looking forward to it!

It is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I don't know what hotels are nearby. The closest towns that would have hotels are Hammondsport, Watkins Glenn and Pen Yan. There might be something an the east side of Keula Lake (maybe a B&B) but you also need parking for boat. You also might be able to find a rental on the lake but you might have to do the weekend minimum.

From where you are, I am guessing it would take 1.5 to 2 hours to get there. I am not sure what the best route to take would be. The launch is where Fleet Rd. crosses the canal that connects Waneta and Lamoka lakes. See this map.