Aux steer rod from I/O to kicker?

Xxx

OK, first of all I run my kicker off my swim platform. What do you guys do to hook up your rod on the I/O because mine doesn't rise above the platform. I see guys running over the water with the Kicker tilted up and the main all the way down. I turn my kicker head towards the main but I can't turn to the left past half way or the EZ Steer rod falls in half, pulls apart. When I installed the rod I had to put the motor bracket where it is because the rod was completely collapsed. Now when I have the kicker tilted up the motor down I can't turn left more than half the distance or the rod fully extends and falls in half. One other thing what do you guys do to raise the quick connecter on the I/O above the platform or above the water. Even if I can't do the steer thing I have to come up with something so on windy days I don't get soaked hooking the rod on the I/O. Thanks for any ideas!! PAP

Sounds like you need to tighten the allen nut on the rod so it doesn't collapse as easy. Sometimes under pressure of heavy waves the bar extends out to far and you loose steering in one direction. When this happens just push the motor over by hand to reset the bar.

They also make the bar at different lengths, yours is to short ,if you read directions on line I think at full extension you should still have four or five spaces left inside rod.

Edited by thork9

Gill, my problem isn't that it easily comes apart, I have the Allen screws torqued up pretty tight it doesn't collapse it pulls apart. Like thork9 mentioned I didnt know they came in different lengths, I'm thinking I have to short of a rod LOL story of my life. Thanks I'll look into this!! PAP OH I just ordered parts for it from iboats. I'll look there!!

Edited by pap

Incorrect length ez steer for the application. Read the instructions on the ez steer website to identify the proper length rod.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea, thanks Fleet, I need the longer one. The Ahole at cabelas told me they don't make different lengths. The outer rod is the same so I just need the longer insert. Ones on the way!!!

If my memory serves me correctly there used to be a yellow sticker on the rod itself stating that the tension is factory set and shouldn't be messed with Mike, When I first bought my boat the marina screwed with it and messed mine up so just an FYI if it applies :)

The tension is factory set to 20lbs. Depending on boat size and weight you may need to adjust it to work properly. I run a 25' trophy at at almost 5000 lbs I had to tighten the set screw slightly for it to work. Just use 1/4 turns and check after adjustment

'Bout Time

Mike

Yea that's what I did guys, I gave it a little more tension, I saw the sticker but it really seamed loose. When the kicker was past center it would pull apart not pull the kicker, at first I thought the steer bushing was to tight but it swings with ease, it works great now, other than its to short. I never knew they made different lengths, damn it all anyway!!! That's what happens when you listen to someone who you think would know. "The man working in the boating section at cabelas" I called out to the Hamburg store, before asking you guys, and finding out I could buy the ends of the EZ Steer for $24.00 a piece!! From iboats super fast service, with a call back from them confirming my order was on the way with a confirmation # Anyway cabelas didn't even have a rod let alone the parts. My wife's uncle works at the Hamburg Cabelas and he said they cut back big time on inventory, they only stock 35% of what the catalog has in the beginning they had 55% of what the catalog has. You would never know things are slow down there unless most are looking and not buying.