Coming soon to a bay near you...

Dylan585

12 inches of ice!!!!! Its still a few months away but I am beyond ready to get out fishing! I hope my secret spot at sodus is still producing this winter! My one question is what type of gloves do you guys wear? I want ones that I can like remove the fingers on... My hands lock up when they get cold but I hate not being able to maneuver anything... Any suggestions?

Gloves?  You don't need gloves to sit in a heated tent and jig!  Buy a good heater and an ice tent and you can ice fish in a sweatshirt.

Part of the fun is sitting outside! I like spreading out my stuff and watching!

Hey Dylan, I've always had trouble with my hands after getting mild frostbite on my fingers. It happened because I was bringing in trout one after another on a small mountain lake in the catskills and it was very cold with a slight breeze. This was before the advent of great ice tents and I sat outside all the time. I had gloves, the really big ones that were arctic military grade but had to take them off to do any fishing. Soon as they were off they got cold inside and of course they were wet from perspiration. No good!...the absolute best way is to get a hand heater of some type and keep it going in your pocket. When your hands are wet and cold just dry them with a towel and plunge those cold hands into the pockets or even one of those tube style hand muffs that can tie around your waist. If you are catching fish you will have cold hands. If not your hands are warm in the pockets. Gloves will just be a nuisance on and off all the time. Only time for gloves is when you are walking out or back to home point, then they stay on.

I suggest using the shake up packs that warm up when exposed to air or a Jon E Warmer. Put it in your pockets and that will warm your hands best when action is on.

Use two hand warmers in Arctic Armor mitts (not gloves). After many years and hundreds of dollars spent on gloves with and without fingers and combinations of them I'm convinced that for truly cold weather gloves are NOT the answer.  I keep two of the disposable hand warmers in each mitt so that both the inside and outside of my hands can be warmed up at once and most of the time my hands are outside the mitts so I can feel things well and do what I need to do. When my hands start to get cold I return them to the mitts for a warm up. I have arthritis in my hands and the cold raises hell with that condition but this approach makes it "doable". If you are in the middle of a warm up and need to shed the mitts they come off real easy and quickly.

post-145411-0-33810000-1442923591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

HT POLAR MITTENS!!! The rubberized exterior is great for keeping ur hands dry. They r oversized for eazy on and off at the hole (just flick ur wrists) and hand warmers fit perfectly inside. I love them and recommend to anyone seeking warm hands while on the ice. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...