El nino

Although it's only a prediction, but by the sounds of it, we're going to have a mild winter with the help of el nino. Anyone think this may extend the feeding habits producing bigger fish and a better fishery similar to a few years ago?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They cant seem to predict today and tomorrow's weather right most of the time so I'm not holding my breath to ANY forecast for the winter

From what I heard we are in a 3 year cycle and it will be our last hard winter for a few years. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worse. Although this year will be my first year I am going to ice fish up on the Northeast end.

The Native Americans out West here are saying it's going to be a real bad winter, White man is stocking lots of firewood.

There was a documentary on history channel last week talking about a new Ice age in the making....Weather is like politics

Fact is the planet is a living breathing pile of dirt , rock and water, more volcanoes have erupted around the world in the last two years than any time I can remember. That has to have something to do with the weather according to my third grade teacher.  

Chas...I do all of my walleye fishing in L Erie & go to Ontarion for the steelies & salmon.  The ones down here have all been on the skinny side with hardly any fat at all in them.  Caught a couple of 27 inchers that barely made 6-3/4 lbs.  Last year, lots of fat.

I just thought it was flukey that they were skinny but I listened to a Lake Erie DEC biologist (works out of the Dunkirk unit) last month giving a presentation on the walleye telemetry study going on & he got on the topic that the average weight of the walleyes that they netted for sampling is about one to two lb. less than previous years, and they don't know why, yet.

I talked to some people who think it's the invasive spiny fleas.  The spines stick inside the difestive systems of smaller fish & those in turn get eaten by the larger fish.  That's just people talking so I'll wait for a scientific study on that one.

Oh, btw, those are some nice looking 'eyes you're holding.  A big Congrats!!

Edited by Smeltz

Chas...I do all of my walleye fishing in L Erie & go to Ontarion for the steelies & salmon. The ones down here have all been on the skinny side with hardly any fat at all in them. Caught a couple of 27 inchers that barely made 6-3/4 lbs. Last year, lots of fat.

I just thought it was flukey that they were skinny but I listened to a Lake Erie DEC biologist (works out of the Dunkirk unit) last month giving a presentation on the walleye telemetry study going on & he got on the topic that the average weight of the walleyes that they netted for sampling is about one to two lb. less than previous years, and they don't know why, yet.

I talked to some people who think it's the invasive spiny fleas. The spines stick inside the difestive systems of smaller fish & those in turn get eaten by the larger fish. That's just people talking so I'll wait for a scientific study on that one.

Oh, btw, those are some nice looking 'eyes you're holding. A big Congrats!!

They have been in Lake Erie since the mid to late 80s so I don't think that has anything to do with the weights of the walleye being down. I believe it has more to do with the HARSH winters we have received the last 2 years more than anything else