SLR nearing full moon

Kevin J Legg

That's awesome Kevin, you guys are doing this good already, I can't wait to see what happens when these eyes put the feed bag on for the upcoming winter. Thanks for the reports and pics.

Great catch! And yes!!!! Sept and Oct moons my favorite as well🎣🎣ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Could use few more eaters for the freezer. In a few days will be shifting gears to muskie fishing for the rest of the year. Cant wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

With early goose season over we were going to hunt Canadian duck opener but decided to wait till we got better weather (wind and rain). Hit the river from 5:00 till 7:0 and caught a limit of walleyes. All eaters. Fishing was a little slow smith cold front and north wind. Gong to hit it tomorrow night with full moon, red moon, super moon, and lunar eclipse all occurring simultaneously. Should be a great night even if fish don't cooperate.

Hey you guys kick a$$, just love to read your posts and see pics of mouth watering eyes!!! I'm still unsure which is more spirited by the moon you guys or the fish, (LOL) which ever it is congrats to the both of YA!!! Keep at it fella's!!! C U in the spring. PAP.

Roybee,

I'll be winding down my SLR walleye efforts but still hit them occasionally. Bow hunting, ducks in Canada and NY, and turkey are next up and more geese when they reopen. I will also likely fish for trophy walleyes at Quinte and Ogdensburg later this fall. What a great time we've had fishing the SLR this summer. Probably the best year I've ever experienced.

Hi everyone,

All the info and pictures you guys have shared on here is appreciated beyond words. I've been fishing the Lake O end of the SLR since I was 7    (41 now) and have dialed in on the eyes well, but only in August and a bit in May. I have not been able to dial in on how to get into them once that bite slows/stops. I know they have to be right in that area still, as I'll get one here, one there trolling for northerns, usually deep Husky Jerks, Reef Runners, etc. along the steep drops. I mark large fish with bait pods deep, 35-90 feet in the same area and my thought is they are eyes. Dropoffs from 16 to 70 fow like a cliff, weedlines at the top of the drop, bait pods with large fish on the sonar near bottom, very near spawning grounds, and very near where I was just doing well on the eyes a month ago. I put in lots of time, even heading up from Syracuse at 2 am, fishing till 8 or so, and heading back to Syr. to work. Sometimes I'll put in 14 hours when I can swing it, trolling, jigging, medium, deep, very deep, fast, slow, etc. I've tried my version of what I'm imagining is the obviously successful bottom bouncer trolling technique and still not a single eye after the August deep jigging bite tapers off, except the occasional odd one trolling for pike in the same area. I know the area like the back of my hand and have no issues trolling and navigating that area in the pitch dark. If any of you that have found success with these SLR eyes consistently could offer any insight I may be overlooking, it would be hugely appreciated. If not, I'll figure it out eventually and continue to enjoy the pics and posts that keep coming. Very nice fish, all of you, and a huge accomplishment for sure!

ProfT and I have done well all summer fishing steep drop offs with lots of current in 30-55 fow. We both use heavy bottom bouncers. Others use jigs and jigging spoons and a few use down riggers. You really need to know the water you're trolling and have great boat control to fish effectively a you can early looks a lot of gear. If you are running reef runners and husky jerks they likely are not near enough to bottom. I catch some in 20-25 fow at night longlining deep divers but many more are caught deeper using bottom bouncers. It's different fishing than running long lines off boards in May and late fall where you're targeting fish 5-25 feet down, perhaps suspended over deeper water.

We also generally only fish early morning and evenings and seldom fish more that 2-3 hours. (Usually less) I'm also not sure how the current runs where you fish but it is running hard where we are catching them. Also weeds don't seem to be a key as fish are generally on rocky areas with little or no weeds. We often mark bait balls but less often mark the fish. I believe they are often hugging bottom.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Thanks Kevin for the advice. Like I said, I'm extremely proficient at fishing that area from probably thousands of hours of fine tuning over 30 years. Definitely not wanting an easy answer (I know there isn't one), but at some point I think it's legitimate to ask someone who's much more of an expert than I to hopefully assist my efforts. You (and a few others on here) have really put in the hours and dialed in on it. I wish you continued success! I will probably get up there one last time (I said that 2 times ago) next week.  Any thoughts on that? This is getting to be the latest in the season I've ever targeted the eyes up there and I don't have much experience with the October pattern. I'm guessing they will still be in those similar areas, deep ledges w/current, as the water isn't really cold yet, and maybe they stay there even then. Either way, if I pick any up I'll throw the pics up here. I know I saw a post awhile back on how to do it. Thanks again to you and others who have shared their experience with me. Enjoy the hunting and good luck on Quinte next month!

Anyone been out? I went out the night before duck opener and only got one. By far the worst. Night in 2 months. I was still marking bait but no bites. Is it over until next year?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app