Replacing rivets on a Deep-V Aluminum Boat???

uglyokuma

I have a 94' Tracker that just last year was starting to loose some of the rivets on the bottom of the hull towards the bow. I tried to replace them with aluminum pop rivets of a similar size but they would only last one outing at the most. I ended up filling them with some good quality silicone for a temporary fix. What is the best way to solve this problem for good???

uglyokuma,

I would think that they might still cover rivots by tracker boats or they would know how to fix them.I would call the tracker boat company and tell them that you have a bad rivot and they might help you out In less you hit something causing the rivot to pop then they should be able to help you out with the repair I had the same Aluminum Boat for 20+ years and never lost a rivot.I can't see why yours should be bad inless it wasn't done right in the first place.But that's just me you have nothing to lose calling them.It's worth a try.Good luck.

i have run a1989 sea nymph on the ocean and l. ontario for all those years.it took alot of pounding and i had rivets loosen and leak.what i did was fill the boat with water, mark the leaks.ithen carefully drilled out old rivets and then used the proper tap drill for a small screw to fill hole. i then covered screw with some fiber glass filler.it works when waranty and nothing else will.

I had a Blue Fin that had leaky rivets. My cousin turned me onto this product call Lab Metal. I believe Alvin Products makes it. It is a paste that u mix up and apply over the rivets. This stuff hardens up like a rock very quickly! It worked really well on it. If your interested PM me and i can tell u where to get it.

Dad used a clear epoxy over a few leaking rivets in the old boat about 5-6 years ago. The kids that bought it off him says that they are still holding. It had just enough flex in it even after it cured to not fall off or leak.

I'll see what brand it was and get back to you.

It would be best to call tracker if you have alot of them that are leaking and missing.

I started replacing rivets on a 20 year old 21' Starcraft after I noticed a dozen leakers. We pulled the carpetting and floorboards, chiseled off the heads on the leakers and drilled out the holes to fit a larger rivet that I purchased at a hardware supplier. With a helper bucking the underside of the rivet, a "rivet set" which had a hole in it to fit the rivet shank was hit with a hammer to set the sheet metal to the rivet shank. The rivet would not spin in the hole and then the rivet was peaned over to secure it. The dozen leakers turned out to 68 new rivets installed. I replaced the plywood and installed new carpeting. No more leakers but after a couple seasons the brace on the transom below the outboard motor cracked and my engine was flopping the transom where I gave up and bought a new boat.

After my new boat, a Lund ,developed a popped rivet due to a dent on the bottom, I replaced it with a "wellnut" and a lot of silicone. It lasted 5 years. Other weaping rivets were sealed with a 2 part epoxy coating and that seems to work. If the rivet spins in the hole, the epoxy will flow between the rivet and the hull filling the space and bonding well.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm kinda snowed in right now so i might go out to the garage and start pulling up the castting deck and prepping things. Once I refill the old rivet holes with bolts or new rivets should I cover them with epoxy or that product from cabela's. Any preferrence?? Do they make large stainless or aluminum pop rivets?? I got some large aluminum ones but the largest I could find was 3/8, and they were too small I think I need 1/4.

Thanks again fella's, I hope everyone is stayin' warm