Marine generator repair needed

DEFIANCE1

I have a 2001 4.5kw Westerbeke generator on the boat. Generator has less than 100 hours on it. The generator starts and runs fine but does not put out any voltage. The closest Westerbeke dealer is in Massachusetts. So my options right now are to order a new backend and install it myself or pull the whole generator out of the boat and crate and ship it to Massachusetts to have them go through it and install the new backend, go through the whole unit and ship it back up here.

Before I go through this, does anyone know of any mechanics that will work on these generators around here? I've gone through a bunch of diagnostics myself, I'm pretty sure the windings are shorted to ground. But I'm not a marine mechanic and would like someone to look at it and make sure I didn't overlook something like a set of diodes that are bad which could be a $50 fix. If anyone knows someone that will work on these generators please let me know.

The boat is a 2001 290 sea ray amberjack.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Def 1,

Call Brett @ 315-986-4451 in Macedon, NY ....North Star Electric.....Major Rebuider of Generators such as yours. Give him the model number & ID so he can give you an idea on what the cost would be to rebuild. Very honest & straight forward.

Sincerely,   Jet Boat Bill