Lake Ontario Parkway

bridget

This post is not related directly to the fishing, but I wanted to comment on the shameful status of the parkway, particullary between Hamlin and Point Breeze.

I see a recent tweat from Captain Vince on this.

Labor Day Weekend I pulled the boat up to Lakeside and Bridget pulled the camper. We had to slow down to about 20 mph and even at that rate I hope we didn't damage either vehicle or the boat and camper.I've never seeen a road in that bad of condition.In a few weeks we will be in the Adirondaks at Perkins Clearing on the logging roads. Those road are far better than the Parkway from Hamlin to Point Breeze.

Does anyone know who has repsosibility to the stretch? 

Thanks for listening - it makes me so mad every year I travel that stretch,and instead of getting repaired, it gets worse.

Going back up on Sunday, but will be taking 104. Its really a shame because the Parkway is such a scenic route, with little traffic.

The state refuses to fix it because of low traffic volume.  Maybe if the fixed it, more people would use it again. I drive on the shoulder instead of the lanes......

Edited by J.D.

It's ridiculous driving either way. I have to go that way atleast once a week and I have chosen to take 18 much more but if I do take the parkway bikers better watch out cause I drive up the shoulder in that section. I tell you I drive a 1 ton diesel and I think driving a tank on that section would be more comfortable

We did take the shoulder approach for a stretch.

Knock on wood I haven't had back problems in several years, but wishing I was wearing my Jock Strap. 

Getting near retirement and many friends have gone down south. I say I won't because I love LO, the Finger Lakes, Black Lake, the Adirondaks, etc..The actions of state however really make you think. Bridget and I are paying thousands in taxes (and working everyday) and have to put up with a situation like that? Don't want to get into politics, but something is wrong here.

Thanks for listening guys.

Just pent up frustation, from every time I travel that road and somehow hope it has been fixed.

I hope Sunday afternoon i can give a positive fishing report. Somehow I think if we get an early start, with glow J-s we can do some damage out front?

• 2 months later...

It is in the news again.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3984002.shtml?cat=565

Seems the Dept. of Transportation doesn't think it should be repaired because they say there isn't enough traffic to justify it. I assume these are educated people. Maybe that is part of the problem. Why don't they think about what they would do if faced with the choice of traveling on the Parkway or going around it to avoid damage to their vehicle. They might then deduce that maybe there isn't much traffic because it is in such poor condition. Or does this make too much sense?

I like the partial solution they came up with, let cut it down to 2 lanes so it's less costly to maintain but not once did they manage to say we will fix either side of the parkway regardless of a solution.

Why in the heck did they put up those "scenic" signs then? Who in the ";'! Is gonna drive on it to see anything?

I drive on it too see the bounce...in the passenger seat...my neck kinked.. still can't turn back left!

silverfoxcharters.net

• 4 weeks later...

The parkway is a joke. The last time I pulled my boat there I thought the motor was going to fall off the transom. I wrote a letter to the nysdot and they replied there wasnt enough traffic to fix duh I wonder why? The Robert Moses parkway is just as bad. How does NYS expect people to get the Hamlin State Park and Fort Niagara State Park? I say fix the road or close it as its virtually undriveable . Also fire the politicians who should be lobbying to fix it . Too bad all our repair money is going to nyc. Wasted tax dollars.