Beginner question about dipsy diver setup for shallow salmon/browns

Been reading a bunch of great posts here!  I am absolute Ontario beginner fishing out of a small 16 ft boat w 15hp tiller, and am looking to get myself a basic setup to get at the salmon in the shallows.  From what I've read, a reasonably priced dipsy rod, line counter reel, and jplugs seems to be the best bet.  I'm still not sure of sizes of dipseys, line types/weight, etc. when fishing in <25 ft water. I'm still pretty darn clueless though.  Can anyone suggest a budget-minded basic setup that can get me started?  thx!

Edited by Pantucci

10 to 14 lbs mono. Go to amazon look for okuma reels with the line counter 40$ they also have 20$ poles for trolling use big dipsy divers youtube how to set up a dipsy diver. Cannon pole holders 20$ field and steam. You can also flat line j pugs just let out 100 foot of line and you will be good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fish from a 17 footer, and netting a fish with a long dipsy lead can be a problem. I use Slide Divers instead of Dipsys, allows me to vary the leader length, and makes netting a fish much easier. I have found that shorter rods also help on a smaller boat. 

You can make this sport as expensive or as reasonable as you want, my diver rods are 7 1/2 foot musky rods from Bass Pro @ $25 each. I use Diawa line counter reels and have never had a problem with them. Invest in good rod holders - no plastic!  

For the rest of the fall season, you can run J-plugs on the surface from top lines around the harbors and inlets, no divers or riggers needed.  Something in a green glo pattern will be your best bet.

Please fill out your profile with more info. If we knew where you were located, and which port you were fishing from, we could offer some ideas for that  area of the lake.

Good Luck !

10 to 14 lbs mono. Go to amazon look for okuma reels with the line counter 40$ they also have 20$ poles for trolling use big dipsy divers youtube how to set up a dipsy diver. Cannon pole holders 20$ field and steam. You can also flat line j pugs just let out 100 foot of line and you will be good.

10-14 lbs mono is too light in my opinion. I would go 20 lbs big game as a minimum. You want the smaller size dipsey divers or (preferably) slide divers for the shoreline. You can catch fish in the spring on them too. I would use 40 lbs power pro for your slide divers with 30 ft of 25 lbs fluorocarbon as a leader. Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

Size 1 or 2 Chinook diver ;)

Okuma classic pro 9ft diver rod

And Magda pro reel or convector reel if you budget allows

Edited by minion

Slide divers are the way to go if you are fishing in tight, and want to put a diver presentation into your spread. Short lead core is all so a good idea.....one of my favorites inside of 30 fow. I would go with that over a diver.

Edited by Team Game Face

Don't use mono for dipseys. Too much stretch and you will either lose fish due to poor hook set or find it difficult to pop and retrieve when you want to change bait.

Rather use braid or even better 7 strand wireline. Braid will collect fleas in mid summer.

You should get a book called Precision Trolling, it has a lot of data on depth vs. line out.

J plugs are okay late season (and sometimes early season), but spoons and spin doctor/fly combos take by far the most fish.  Meat also takes a few fish. Plugs are basically the last thing I resort to, and normally only in late August.

Edited by TyeeTanic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the advice!  Yeah, I tried the browns last spring and we did pretty good -- we got em on michigan stingers, both flatlined and off planer boards-- gonna try it again if the weather gods are good!

Edited by Pantucci