Sept 27 out of Rochester

My daughter and I went out and we started at the mouth w the pack and she had a nice one on FF off the 30 dip set over 20fow but she got the fish to the back of the boat and gone!

Tried everything to get a bite through 930 but nothing. Tried jplugs, spoons, FF. 50 foot leads. Tight leads. 8 to bottom over 20?fow but nothing.

What's working?

I did see most were using planer boards so maybe u have to get the lures farther from the boat?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Appreciate the info Cheers. I'll try 5 down. I definitely wasn't fishing that shallow. Maybe I was way under em. I did see folks were scooting right along though! I'll ker the speed up too. Maybe we'll connect soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was with you.  We had two hits early and then nothing despite a report of a good bite in top 10 feet.  Guys at the launch had 7 in the boat.  We tried speeds from 2.1-3.0 with nothing but a skipper steelie after the first 2.  

I was with you. We had two hits early and then nothing despite a report of a good bite in top 10 feet. Guys at the launch had 7 in the boat. We tried speeds from 2.1-3.0 with nothing but a skipper steelie after the first 2.

Hopefully we have a few more weeks.

What boat r u in?

Did u catch mainly on plugs or what?

I'm definitely too deep but I threw everything at em!

At least it was slow for others. Felt so bad I didn't land any I took off to laker country to put something in the boat for my daughter.

+ 1 with Cheers.

We did a charter out of the Oak a few years back to learn how to catch staging kings in late fall. All fish came on J-Plugs run on top lines, and riggers 3-5 feet down.  Green glo, black ladder back took most of the hits. Capt. John said the agressive fish will be moving near the surface, the negative, moody kings on the bottom will be much harder to trigger a strike.

I stayed outside the pack most of the morning because I was running solo with a buddy and his kid and didn't want to get in the gauntlet. Plus I knew the charter guys were trying to produce for their clients. I had 4 in-lines out with 1 cores. 3/4 came on these. 100' back on the counter then 75-125' out on the planer. I like the in-lines this time of year for the pure action they put into the lure. Also, when the sun gets high that's when I'll put the silver bullets in the water, Glow stuff before that. Good luck out there! Still a lot of fish to come in.

My only two hits were a magnum spoon on the rigger.  15 ft over 25.  Sexy veggie.  

Red top center console.  

Hopefully we have a few more weeks.

What boat r u in?

Did u catch mainly on plugs or what?

I'm definitely too deep but I threw everything at em!

At least it was slow for others. Felt so bad I didn't land any I took off to laker country to put something in the boat for my daughter.

We boated 7 yesterday. 5 came on a single plug. Deep diving firetiger jointed Challenger. Change the hooks first or you will be sorry.

Wow. Glad you did so well. I only have a few plugs but will pick a couple up and try getting a fire tiger if they have one. What's wrong with the hooks?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

While not terrible, the original hooks bend and/or break on salmon. I lost several fish last year before changing them. Hooks were bent every time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow. Will replace for sure. Bummer they put cheap stuff on it. Txs for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

the challenger deep divers are great baits.

however, like 95% of lures, they are not designed for salmon.

as such, like the poster above said, you MUST change the hooks, and the SPLIT RINGS as well.

truthfully, outside a very select few of lures (yozuri crystal minnows, rebel spoon bill minnows, and j13's) ALL hooks and split rings should be changed....

the manufacturer's of lures have major cost reductions in place....and these reductions always start at the hardware.....most specifically hooks and split rings...

rapala has gone DOWNHILL over the last 5 years with respect to quality of hooks and split rings....

but truthfully, I'd guess 80% or more of anglers who buy these lures will never put them near a salmon.

I'm a crankbait nut, filling six special mate boxes full of different stick baits....each and every lure have upgraded hooks and split rings...

I use 2x gammy's or st-41's for hooks and excalubir tear drop split rings.