Wreckless Charter Captain behavior

I waited a day before posting so I gave myself time to cool off.  I'm still pissed.  Captain of Reel Serious out of Rochester decided to play chicken with me and won.  We were the Stand-on vessel.  He was the Give way vessel.  It is NOT disputable.  I thought he just didn't see what was happening and was going to snap out of it and start turning but DID NOT.  Instead came within 20 feet of hitting my boat(port side) with his bow.  Then had the nerve to start shouting at me as if I was the one in the wrong.  I had to go WOT on my kicker to avoid, and don't know how we didn't have every friggin line crossed.  Watch what you are doing out there and learn how to NAVIGATE.

Want to add that there are some damn good charter captains out there.  This isn't a knock on them.  Mistakes happen too.  But don't get hot with a weekend guy when YOU ARE IN THE WRONG.

Things like this happen all the time....That's why I don't "Combat troll " too much . Couple things Ive learned in the past 30plus years of doing the combat thing.....

#1- the other guy isn't going to move. You need to be more of a defensive driver like on the road.

#2- When its really congested, run those leads closer than normal. (like 50-60 ft). When you have to make an evasive maneuver, your rigs don't get fubar.

#3- if you run big boards in a combat troll area You just a plain ole A$$hole. Im not saying not to run top lines....I run my top rigs off of birds (smaller inlines). Very easy to crank in and keep closer to the boat when the trolling gets tight.

#4- I stay away from the pier guys....Give em plenty of casting room,

Madperry.....  Obviously Not being a witness to your incident, I won't comment directly. What Ive listed is not directed at you, but more of a hint or maybe an eye opener to any newbies looking to get out. 

Sadly we see this all too often.  Some of these guys always assume that the private boater is inexperienced or uneducated with regards to marine law and etiquette.  What if you were a retired Coast Guard Captain or a 20 year Naval Commander with 10 times the experience on the water that he has running charters?!?!  The guest on my boat on Saturday hired a charter out of Mexico last season and said the behavior of the Captain (who will remain un-named) towards other boaters was appalling; he had the "I work here so you don't belong here" attitude.  Screaming and "gesturing" at everyone.  Got to the point where they told the Captain "never again" simply because of his lousy, unjustified bad behavior - towards other boaters!  Most people out there are so considerate and helpful, as are so many people on this forum, too bad guys like this have forgotten that good behavior is contagious and fishing is supposed to be fun, for everyone.

Think everone has had run ins with other boats like that like in the spring when yah get pushed into the shore line and the other guy runs over your outside board and its just him and the whole lake on the outside. I had a guy yelling and screaming that i was goin north n south this fall out infront of 9 mile point. I was going east n west like the rest of the pack. He was the north n south boat ( must not own a compass) I i had to do a 180 turn half throttle to avoid him the best part never tangled my gear and hit and land a king as soon as i stoped 30yrds from him and was able to celebrate his ignorance with a 24 lb king over my head telling him this is what they look like 😜ðŸ‘

First off I was driving the vessel but I do not own the vessel! I saw you coming and figured you'd turn. When you didn't ,believe it or not I slowed down. Everyone who combat trolls has had to juice the throttle every now and then. It wasn't that big of a deal but I'm sorry your upset . As for the people on board or captain giving you lip it's beyond my control . I haven't been that close to someone in a long time it happens . Refer to Matt's rules for Combat Trolling

Been Salmon fishing since the mid 70's with my Captains Licence in 1983.

It seems like the more flow to attract fish, the worse the combat fishing is (not a surprise) after labor day.  Salmon River is usually really bad, The Oak and Sodus, sometimes hectic, but manageable. Been years sinced I fished out of Rochester, but I would guess its probalby somewhere in between.

I agree with Midemenors guidelines. The thinking based on the rules of road, you have the right of way (and maybe right), and just continuing on course is likely going to lead to problems at some point.

When chartering I wanted a mate who paid attention and manuvered as necessary, regardless of who is in the right. Tangles and Confrontations were not part of the experince I wanted to give to my clients. Who knows who is piloting the other boat? An arrogant jerk, someone not maying attention, or someone  having no clue of what they are doing. With the boat traffic out of some ports its likely to be a mix of all, along with experinced folks who, although they have a stradegy of where they want to go, are not going there at all costs (and get out of my way).

For recreational fishing with Bridget, she will not Combat Fish anymore at the Salmon River - just isn't any fun - to nerve racking.She's marginal at the Oak, and its not from the other boaters really, just the amount of traffic to deal with at times.

In my old age, I think of the purpose of why I am out there. Hopefully it is to have an enjoyable time.Certainly it isn't to creel a brown salmon or two to bury in the garden or see if the cats will eat, particullary if it means tangles and / confrontations.in the process. Actually at this time of year you are often better off going off shore and catching some bows and silvers.

I don't see it as Charter Captains VS Recreational Fisherman, just a mix of personalities and levels of experience. You get a lot of boats focusing on a very limited point of focus and that is combat fishing. Start very early, go during the week, or if gets conjested move offf shore. Not worth the aggrevation at least for me at this point in my life, particullary for the folks I am fishing with. 

I don't want Bridget to get so paranoid she won't go out anymore, or for my Grandkids be exposed to obscene cursing and people out of control. Not my idea of an enjoyable experience.

That's my take on it.

Try reading the rules they only apply to two vessels meeting. Your kinda in a grey area after that. BE safe that's the real law out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure who this was directed at? There was nothing grey about our situation. We were 2 vessels meeting...

Anyways, an apology was offered and I accept it. I would have let this go 10 seconds after it happened if I hadn't been yelled at.

I think Missdemeanor's post was 100% correct in the way you conduct yourself out there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Getting kind of ridiculous! Captains screaming at other boaters...Others playing chicken...Some waving hand guns at others! Someone is going to get hurt at some point and I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth going out there.

Edited by MikeyP

Thanks for posting the " rules of the road " . Anyone using a boat on any waterway should take the boaters safety course . You need to jump through hoops to drive a car ,but any body can buy and operate a 400 hp boat on the water with no training at all . Too many people on the water with little or no idea of rules and regulations .

This is the reason I do not have any interest in joining the masses.  Fishing is supposed to have some resemblance of relaxation.  I have enough stress in other areas of life so choose not to partake.  I stopped waterfowl hunting because it became too stressful to continue to set the clock 30 minutes earlier to try and beat other guys to the fields.  People need to just chill the F out.

Im sorry to hear about your experience.

All the more we need to be patient and compose ourselves like a gentlemen especially when we are on the battlefield. It would not be called a combat troll otherwise.

Of course, I have had my line cut off in my early days of trolling. Had  to swallow it and learned to let it go and save your lines along with the junk you put out.

At least, we are blessed to be fishing out in the lake!

Then when all the fishermen are playing nice like we were in Oswego Saturday, the sailboat under power cuts through and pushes a boat against the lighthouse and hanging their gear on the end of the wall...the sailboat could have easily skirted East of everyone and out the channel just fine with plenty of room.

Edited by Broadhorizons

Then when all the fishermen are playing nice like we were in Oswego Saturday, the sailboat under power cuts through and pushes a boat against the lighthouse and hanging their gear on the end of the wall...the sailboat could have easily skirted East of everyone and out the channel just fine with plenty of room.

But he is the typical sailboater that thinks he has the right of way because he flies a sheet from time to time! Gotta love blow boaters!

Boaters whether rag fliers or power driven are just a small subset of society. Society has conscientious people and it has self absorbed people that think the rules are not for them. You see it on the road, in stores lines and just about everywhere else so why shouldn't we see it on the water. My mindset on the water is the same as morning rush hour, hope that people follow the rules but be prepared to react as though they won't.

I tend to stay either inside or outside of the pack, but the ones that really get to me is when I am out in 100' and above all by myself and some numbnut motors out and starts setting up 200' in front of me  :mooning:  :mooning:  :mooning: !

............or all the boats are in a north/south, and some yo-yo decides he is going in or out.......now.

Dave, We were tripled up last Saturday in front of the big river.

Ended up 4-7.

We are done for the year, closing the camper this weekend.

............or all the boats are in a north/south, and some yo-yo decides he is going in or out.......now.

Dave, We were tripled up last Saturday in front of the big river.

Ended up 4-7.

We are done for the year, closing the camper this weekend.

Nice Scott,

We had Mr and Mrs Blue Devil on board Sunday ended 6 for 8, going to try a couple more times yet weather permitting.

Pulling the boat home after Columbus Day and on to the Deer Hunting! Have a good winter if I don't get to talk to you.

Dave