Wreckless Charter Captain behavior

I put this sticker on my helm by the wheel. We fish on many different waterways and my 17 year old son drives the boat a lot. He has taken a boater's safety course this summer, but this sticker is a good reminder of the nautical rules of the road. These decals are free for anyone to order, and you don't pay shipping either. I ordered 50 so I can pass them around to people who operate their boat as if they always have the right of way.

post-142578-0-89856500-1443697063_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's why I ordered some. I go out of my way to avoid crowds of boats, but sometimes you find yourself in an unfamiliar situation, and I want to know I'm doing the right thing.

Edited by Todd in NY

I put this sticker on my helm by the wheel. We fish on many different waterways and my 17 year old son drives the boat a lot. He has taken a boater's safety course this summer, but this sticker is a good reminder of the nautical rules of the road. These decals are free for anyone to order, and you don't pay shipping either. I ordered 50 so I can pass them around to people who operate their boat as if they always have the right of way.

attachicon.gifRule of the road cropped.jpg

Where did you get these from? Id like to grab a few.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Where did you get these from? Id like to grab a few.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I got them at BoatUS.org

There are 2 other stickers that all come on one card. I just cropped out the other 2 stickers, but here is what the whole card looks like...

post-142578-0-56839200-1443733637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Todd in NY

By the way, passing on either side is only by sound signal. Law says 1 blast means I intend to leave you on my port side, the other vessel will respond with 1 blast if he agrees. Please check the rules again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, my 2 cents…  

After finishing the Coast Guard school to pass all the tests for Capt. license. After all the rules of road, all map formulas, Plackerd reading, and all the other stuff they crammed down us. LOL.  the one thing they told us after all that was…No matter what, you do what you have to do to avoid an accident.  PERIOD….

after 30 years of trolling and avoiding boats, I hardly notice rules of road being followed by most boats while trolling.  I just turn this way or that to avoid them and not afraid to use my air horn once in awhile just to get there attention.  

Thanks

Capt. Dave

Edited by ReelSilver

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna kick in a few more cents here cause I'm in that kinda mood. Mad perry, rules of the road..... Blah... Blah....blah..... Here are the "rules" of fishing...

1-you see a boat getting to close to you? You f'n turn. Your in the path or getting to close to a boat? You f'n turn. And give enough time so you don't run over flat lines. Or boards.

2- a boat is getting to close to you? Or in your way? Guess what, they are most likely fighting a fish. Guess what, you f'n turn.

3- when your fighting a fish or two and see on coming boat or boats?? Pick up the radio and let them know who you are, and what is going on. Guess what that boat or boats will f'n turn.

You know why. All of this is called "common fishing courtesy"

"Learn it" then come back and ****.

Charter boat, charter Captain, Mate, Deckhand, weekender doesn't matter. Like Matt's list of "rules" we ALL follow by that. We are all a great group of people who fish Lake Ontario and help each other out wether it's advise,tips, tricks or just getting out of the way. Be the better guy. You mite make some friends.

Edited by The Scottsman