Owasco 05/31/08

Fished the Bass Pro Shops Charity Tournament with crew. We caught a total of thirty fish; 3 large walleye,27 lake trout ranging to 7 lbs. The three walleye placed in the top three for the species weighing 5 to 7.5 lbs.

As for the tournament, all I can say is I will be surprised if it happens next year. I see no reason why a young child who pays their entry fee and spends all day fishing should at least get some sort of prize or reward. They fish all day and then go to the awards ceremony at 4:30, wait patiently, watch the few kids that win get a prize and leave with nothing. Come on Bass Pro- they are your future customers ;( .

Well done Sean. I saw your slobs at the weigh in, very nice. Was your walleye bite just in the AM? Did you guys board any of your lakers?

We lucked out with #3 Laker, but would have been better off with the #4 gift bag.

I agree with you on the kiddos, they all should have got something back. Sounds like BP was suprised to get the # of kids they did. It's a new derby, maybe they'll change things up.

Sure glad the Almond size hail we drove through onthe way home did'nt hit while we were on the water!!!

sean,

I agree with you on the tourney. My kids placed 2nd and third in the youth division, and yes to anyone wondering, they reeled in their own fish. Took a while for them to land them but.... and my oldest son is learning about the drag system. He brok the line on a fish while the in-line board was still attached. Finally chased the board down and brought the fish in by hand. I wish I had a camera. Anyway I will always pay money to the tourneys to get my boys on the water with me, They're 6 and 7, and you know it won't be long until they are teens and dad isn't so cool anymore. I was proud that they worked hard and placed. I think they are hooked:) We worked the south end due to the chance of bad weather, ran a stick program and ended with 10 fish, 8 lakers and 2 northerns which both my boys reeled in. Guys drifting mooneyes did better, as expected, but not many weigh in's south. Looks like the majority of the placements were from the north again this year.

I agree all kids should get something. In Fact I thought those grab bags were for all the kids. My wife won a grab bag on the 50/50 drawing and I got to tell ya, that was easily a $50.00 bag of stuff. Alot of promo stuff, but awesome none the less. I may not have place but I got, or my wife got a nice grab bag. So to your point the Bags were better than the place money, at least in the kids division.

I did like how they did the 1000 card drawing though, I don't remember what you got, but it was a change from going to the laker division due to weight like it usually does.

All in all a great day on the water, and to make you feel better, anyone who pounds walleyes like that on a day program in Owasco has my praise.Nice Job!

Thanks Guys, All the walleye were taken off the boards with a hand painted spoon, same spoon that caught us the winning walleye last year. Two around 7am one about 10:30am, and lost one about 12:00 at the back of the boat that was 9 to 10 lbs. If you can find a school of bait from the surface to 60 ft they are in it or around it. Even if it is in the center of the lake.

Hey Sean that guy on the right with glasses is one ugly dude....... I can't believe he was actually holding a fish.........................Nice job on the tournament.............

Woody 184 Thanks I had to take him out and show him a few things. He did a good job he actually reeled in the one he is holding. Im going to have to get him out more often. From what I hear he bought a small boat. A few more time out and he will have a big boat. HA

Dan any place you can find bait on top, East side spring early summer, the west side summer to fall. At least for me any way.