Acid Wash

tannero

My first year keeping my boat on the river in Rochester and the bottom looks to be a mess.

Wanted to try power washing and acid washing myself.

I'll put tarps down when using acid to cover trailer.

I heard muratic acid works just as well as store bought stuff at west marine. Not sure though?

I'll buy something safer at west marine for the motor, drive and trim tabs.

Am I on the right track? Any advise or guidance?

I figured you have to clean each year once so why paint the bottom and keep a nice clean look?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I'm not sure what you would use on a bare hull. If you are going to keep the boat in a slip, I strongly urge you to use some kind of bottom paint. Keeps the hull from blistering and is extremely easy to clean at the end of the year.... Powerwasher and that's it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Never tried muriatic acid , but MaryKate ON & OFF is probably the same stuff and is Great . pressure wash first to get the heavy stuff first  . I just wet down trailer and concrete first just in case . I apply on a small folded towel and just wipe on small section at a time so there is no dripping , also do the mercury motor lower unit and trim tabs . Looks like new again .  But the stuff is nasty - wear personal protection and careful not to get a whiff of it . 

Im going to get the on off. Few other web sites suggested it also. I didnt think you could put that on the metal parts such ad the motor though?

I may look into painting it too. Im hoping its due to the bottom being so dirty but my boat used to run 40mph and now im lucky to get 34 out of it. Maybe the slime will slide off a little better w paint during the year. Just hate to paint a nice white hull.

Txs for the tips guys. Going to try myself this year rather than pay to have it done. Doesnt sound too bad. Few hours of hard work.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 5 months later...

Always, always wash the slime off when you pull from water, the moment it dries it is like concrete. Pressure washer will pull the growth, but the brown will stay. As stated above, barrier coat and anti fouling paint is worth every penny to save from blistering and growth. Good luck.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Txs guys. It's about that time to start preparing our boats..... mines been resting all winter untouched

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Best of luck with it Jeff as it is really a beautiful boat.

Txs Les. Yea, really hate to paint it but if I'm docking g all year. Might be th the way to go. Now we have to get together again. It's been too long.

Txs Les. Yea, really hate to paint it but if I'm docking g all year. Might be th the way to go. Now we have to get together again. It's been too long.

Sucks painting them but if your keeping it in all year you want to do it. That's why you lose speed not from all the crap on bottom but fiberglass absorbs water eventually if not painted right, adds weight to the boat That's why you want to get a non painted boat out early to let it dry before a freeze.

Sucks painting them but if your keeping it in all year you want to do it. That's why you lose speed not from all the crap on bottom but fiberglass absorbs water eventually if not painted right, adds weight to the boat That's why you want to get a non painted boat out early to let it dry before a freeze.

wow! !! Didn't know that... I figured the glass was not permeable. Good to know.

Sounds good Jeff. Had a blast last time :) . Sean's info is a surprise to me as well but it makes real sense.

I spent an entire summer taking off bottom paint and restoring the gelcoat shine! The boat was docked in salt water so it was necessary. As for cleaning the gelcoat now, On Off is what I use. It comes out of the hudson every shade of brown, green orange you can think of. The on off melts it on contact with a little bit of scrubbing (i use a 2 gallon pump sprayer). It is essential keep trailer either wet or covered when using on-off. I only dock the boat for 2 months April and May where marine growth is a minimum. 

While I agree fiberglass is somewhat permeable and will absorb moisture - to knock 8 MPH off the top end the hull would probably have to absorb several hundred pounds of water. I will stick by my thoughts that the crap on the bottom is the main reason you are losing top end speed. That being said you should paint or epoxy barrier coat the hull to keep moisture out and prevent osmotic blistering.

I agree with Mallory on vc 17,  I will look at the bottom of other boats in my marina and they are pretty bad with growth.  I use the vc17,   sucked to sand all the old bottom paint off to start with the vc  but  it sure made a difference with algae growth,   not sure  the difference  between regular ablative bottom paint and speed but the application and algae growth was enough to make me continue to use it and like it! 

Has anyone has experience with the no sand method on a hull that's never been painted ?

You will need to at least skuff it and apply primer(epoxy barrier coat is preferred). Then you can use the thin ink-like paints that go on so thin you will never need to sand again. You do need to power wash as soon as the boat comes out each season if you are mooring it. We wipe with thinner and put a coat on each Spring. 

You will need to at least skuff it and apply primer(epoxy barrier coat is preferred). Then you can use the thin ink-like paints that go on so thin you will never need to sand again. You do need to power wash as soon as the boat comes out each season if you are mooring it. We wipe with thinner and put a coat on each Spring.

Thanks Vince

Has anyone has experience with the no sand method on a hull that's never been painted ?

I used the "Ultimate No Sand System". Easy to do and has held up well for 8 years. 2 coats of ablative. A few spots are getting thin and need to be recoated.

Edited by lost a lure