nose rings ???

not the ones our wifes lead us around by , but the nose ring on spoons .. I was lernt to put noserings on spoons so there was less chance of swivel damage from jumping twisting fish,ive had it happen with landlocks on seneca before .....last night in a chat room with Dan Keeting he said he never uses them, I know that should be nuf said ,just looking for others experience on this topic .. Thanks Ray K.

With a split ring and a solid ring , tie them up with your best knot, pull hard and then see which one breaks first. Usually its the split ring, because the squeezing of the ring and the edges cut the line. Manufacturers like Luhr Jensen learned this years ago and you'll notice their rings are solid and soldered shut.

Action can increase or decrease with the addition/ deletion of a split ring. Some spoons come with them and others dont. If I buy one without a split ring I usually run it without one first and then add one and see if there is a noticeable difference in the action. If not, I run a split ring.

Please beware there are regular split rings and heavy duty split rings. Some manufatures use the lighter weight ones because they are easier to put on, but sometimes they get bent by large fish or careless fisherman. HD's suck to put on but are way worth it. (I would know. I assemble for a Company that sells great lakes spoons)

Yes, solid welded rings are the best but very expensive to add.