How to get a stuck rod apart?

Gill-T

Maybe try packing ice around the bottom of the stuck part to get it to contract while keeping the other out of the ice so it stays a bit warmer and see if it will slide out?

Try using one of those compressed air canisters (e.g. for cleaning computer keyboards etc. )  and spray it until cold and then spray the top part with it and see if it contracts enough to slide the top out?

Edited by Sk8man

that video technique looks like it would work well.  hope it works for you!

that being said, when I was a kid my brother taught me a trick to keep the sections from sticking together to begin with. before you assemble the pieces make sure the ferrules are clean and free of grit, and lubricate the male end. with what, you ask?

wipe your finger along the side of your nose and you will pick up some oil from your skin. the crease of your nose is relatively oily. wipe your nose oil (not your boogers) on the ferrule. wipe the side of your nose now and you will see what I mean.

I've been doing this as a matter of habit for 40 years and I've never had a problem with sections sticking together.

this works with metal ferrules as well.

cheers

Good topic ; neat video ! I build some of my own rods so I have some expertise : general principles with any stuck " tubes" ; heat = expansion #1 , twist #2 . The danger is damage to guides by any method so be careful : Next step is prevention , when reinserting sections apply a small amount of WHITE grease to prevent the same problem .

One thing that's always worked for me is taping pencils or pens on each section of rod near the connection point for a better grip. Just be careful not to crush the rods when you grip each section. A bag of frozen vegetables over the joint for 10 mins or so helps also.

If a fly rod, attach a section of sink tip and or sinking line and make a half doz casts. The natural flex of the rod with the tipped weight will loosen the ferrule. If it's a spinning rod you can attach a 1/8 oz sinker and use the same process getting a deep being in the rod on the casts.

My dad had also taught me the nose trick or running the rod along the scalp/hair. To get it apart try grabbing each side of the connected parts like a fist with the fist behind the knees then squat slightly and spread your knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app