A little different type of fishing

Sk8man

I tried some new fishing after all these years while visiting friends in Charleston South Carolina. We fished the intercoastal salt water tidal marshes right in back of my friends home and had a blast. When the tide comes in the area that looks like a field of reeds at other times becomes a playground for all sorts of fish and creatures including redfish (red drum) black drum, and sea trout among a host of other species. For some of the fishing we waded out in shorts and for other stuff we used the boat but it was all light tackle and these redfish (especially the large ones) fight a lot like kings on 10 lb test line. We caught our own bait (menhaden and mullet) with a cast net and used them both live and as cut bait strips used as in stillfishing. The redfish would slam the h out of the bait. The biggest surprise was a couple porpoises that had come way into the estuary hunting from the ocean (many miles) and were slamming the bait right nearby us. We caught a number of fish as well as some huge blue crabs, and a couple sting rays as well. A real fun time learning some new stuff in a very different environment.

post-145411-0-20614300-1443623105_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-15649200-1443623117_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-45001800-1443623134_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-90559400-1443623163_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-09099500-1443623210_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-05895500-1443623417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

The flood tide at harvest moon is an awesome time to hit the flats! My brother is in Jacksonville and I've been down fishing the flooded grass a few times with him from his Pathfinder and kayaks. Good stuff!

Thanks guys and yes Keith it is really cool and we even got to see the full eclipse the other night from the upper deck of our friends place right there on the marsh and it was truly beautiful. The sting rays are something to be careful with but the large blue crabs do the most threatening and are really funny to watch. I caught several on the cut bait and it felt like they were the bait stealing Pinfish nibbling and then you'd pull in those damned blue crabs and they would threaten you with their claws  in the boat when you tried to detach them. Funniest of all though were the little unidentifiable tiny fish that nibbled at the hairs on my legs and drove me nuts while wading in the marsh in shorts :lol: That was a first.

Edited by Sk8man

Way to go Les, nothing like going on vacation, and do the things you love to do, I hope you are enjoying yourself. My grandparents lived in Clearwater on the gulf side. I remember my grandfather and his buddy used to take me for sea trout, that was cool at least they look a trout, the rest of the ocean fish just look weird to me. Well soak up some rays and catch a bunch of those Reds there pretty good eating. Relax & Enjoy. PAP.

Nice fishing Les! You look like you're saying to the camera with the skate..."would you kindly take this alien thing off my hook"? :blink:

Reds are powerful. I'm headed for them in 10 days in the OBX. Enjoy the rest of your vaca! ...if yer still down there..Watch out this weekend for that rotten hurricane coming up. Hope it steers out to sea!

Edited by skipper19

Thanks Mark....I'm at home now and for once in my life with good timing :lol:  Have a great time at the Outer Banks and stay safe. You're right about the pic of the skate :)