Navigation Lights...or lack thereof!

drlfc

I live on the Lake. I see Kayaks, home made rafts, everything that floats including rubber ducks at night. No Flares, no Nav Lights, No Stern Lights, Probably no simple first aid kits, hand held radios, or even a air horn! But, the beers are flowing! Steve....

You're welcome Steve. My son wants to fish Cape Cod Bay for stripers at night and to be honest, I'm a little nervous. Fog and his respect or (lack of) for big water concern me. We've come out of the chutes a few times in the past and turned around, only cause I was at the helm, he wanted to fish. I didn't want to put the two year old boat in the salt either but it sat all summer so...I agreed, pending a boaters safety course and radar. The last class was about weather, cloud formations, the barometer and how with practice, one can predict with accuracy, conditions for fog. He'll be launching in the canal and fishing out in front of it and I don't want to worry about him wanderig out in front blind in a fog. I took the course 15 yrs ago or so with the coastal navigation course, but forgot a lot. This is a refresher for me but my son is learning about respecting that big water. Ya know, discussing fishing techniques and such can be about debatable and differing techniques and such but when it comes to safety, I always refer to the experts, the lives of our loved ones are too important to not know what's up. When it comes to fishing, I always defer to the experts out here, guys like Les, just an encyclopedia of wisdom and knowledge! The pro's discussing some concerns on another thread are inspiring me to dig a little deeper. I'm learning so much out here. And some of those guys have a flair for writing. Thank you Gentlemen for sharing that wisdom!

They gave us this link last class and it's pretty neat cause the buoy measures wave height and reports it. Those 1 to 3's  and 2 to 4's are averages and the waves could be twice those numbers. When in doubt, don't go out kind thing.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44013

I should have posted the link for LO, here's one 20 nm off Rochester. At 12:50 pm this afternoon, the wave height is reported at 5'6". Save the link to your phone and from your phones desktop you can see the latest reports and what the waves are doing 20nm off Rochester. It's another tool you can use to determine weather conditions for an informed decision before you go out. (not that you're going that far out but it can be an indication of what's whipping around out there)

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45012

Edited by Thun

Thun, you are very resourceful and practical. There sometimes are "unwritten" rules in which we must make the call. I always told my son,"No fish, is worth your life!" He quotes me on that even today. Steve.........

Ralph is a great guy Steve and he always adds something relevant and of particular interest to us in his posts.  One of the things I have noticed about that particular buoy over the past couple years is that much of the time you can just about double the wave height information and it will be close to reality for some reason. I've checked it many times while out there and while somewhat near it (e.,g. Hughes or Sodus Point) and that is what seems to be the case each time.... not sure why.

Let me get this straight. I need to spend multiple $$$$ to see boats that are not up to regs on their lighting or don't give a s--t about their safety? How about THEY spend less than a hundred bucks so that THEY aren't breaking the law or are the cause of a marine accident/fatality. WAKE UP AMERICA!

Exactly drlfc, how much would it cost to go to Walmart and buy the battery operated clamp on ones, and like Chas stated I run in the dark the same way except I have driving lights forward, lights shining on my boards, that have the DOT. reflecting tape on both sides. I have mine wired that I can turn of whichever set I want. I only have run in the dark on our local lake for stripers and eyes, but maybe early dawn come eye season on Lake'O.

Edited by pap

Well there you go, I just found out about that buoy, Les has been by it many times...wisdom! And funny you should say that, the instructor mentioned how often NOAA is wrong too. Thanks for the kind words Les. I'm still learning about what to do in different situations, whether I can do it is another question because my boat handling skills are awful.

I don't muck around on the water at night and I'm on it a lot to fish for walleye after dusk.  Seldom go on plane and always have all navigation lights on, including the bow spot lamp. If there are others out and about w/out lights I'm hoping if I can't see them and their planning, they'll see me.

post-154612-0-21932500-1444313936_thumb.jpg

Just looked up NY State boating laws with regards to lights. Manually powered boats dont need anything more than a lantern or flash light. So much for common sense.

Well thank goodness the rules say I have to have flares on board. That must be because there's a good chance we will run over an unlit kayak at night. At least the coast guard will know where the accident happened so they can come pick up the pieces! Crazy ...

It's unbelievable how some activities are legalized to death, and others are dumbfoundly lacking rules.

The row boat I struck one night had two guys banging a flash light on the gunwale trying to get it to work. I swerved but just grazed the stern corner and all were safe except for a couple rivets in my boat. Flash light batteries are not good enough.