Downrigger cable "planer" that pulls cables away from boat?

I saw these once and don't know what they are called or where to get them. If I remember correctly, it looks like a stainless steel dodger, but it pulls the outside downrigger cables to the left or right so they don't get crossed as easily with the 2 inside downrigger cables. They work like a side planer, but they attach directly to the downrigger cables.

I have 2 downriggers on my boat that I run out to the left and right. I like to run a third line right down the middle on a dipsy, but I'd like to have those "planers" on each of the rigger cables to separate the cables a little better.

Can anyone tell me what these are?

I remember something like that, I think that it was called wingers, and it was made by bill Staiff charters?

Look up Bill Staiff charters I think it's on their web site.

Todd, make ya a deal.   Send me the money for shipping and buy a kid a rod and reel and they are yours. They have a lil custom glow tape on them but you can take it off if you want 

IMG_20151001_192423844_HDR_zpsoli2am7x.j

IMG_20151001_192407352_zpsx7hhumuj.jpg

Edited by Landshark

Landshark, those are what I was talking about. Send me a PM and let me know how much the shipping is. I live close to Watertown, NY. I can either pay the shipping in person or I can send you a money order.

Next question... how easy is it to remove them and put them back on for different fishing conditions? Does current affect them much?

To all who replied, thanks! I figured someone was still producing them and selling them. My beam is 89", so I don't run more than 3 lines with my current setup. With something like these I might be able to run two DD set out to the right and left, way back behind the downriggers. I won't add any more downriggers, 2 is plenty on my boat.

Todd, make ya a deal. Send me the money for shipping and buy a kid a rod and reel and they are yours. They have a lil custom glow tape on them but you can take it off if you want

IMG_20151001_192423844_HDR_zpsoli2am7x.j

IMG_20151001_192407352_zpsx7hhumuj.jpg

That's very nice of you Landshark, they don't look quite as bulky and cumbersome as the "wingers" about how far do they run the cable and ball off to the side Thanks PAP. Edited by pap

Honestly Todd, I would buy two shark weights and slightly bend the back fins. That's what I do. I only used wingers when I ran 4 riggers. You are still welcome to them

Edited by Landshark

I really don't have a guess on how far out to the side these wingers go. When I ran 4 riggers I would put them on the outside riggers to keep them from ranging the inside riggers. You can still run dipsys however you would like. I found that with 2 riggers, bending the fin in the downriggers weight was much easier and less bulky. The wingers take 5 seconds each to take off and put back on. Very easy

Landshark, thanks for the tips. I fish a wide variety of lakes, from Lake O to small 500 acre lakes that are deep and cold. My downriggers are the Cannon Mag 10A2's from the late 1980's, and I don't know how many more years I will get out of them. I either use 10 lb cannon balls (or 6 pounders on the small inland lakes) as a way to not make my old riggers work too hard. I think these wingers you have might be better for my old riggers than going to a heavier ball or weight (just my opinion). I have one more fishing trip planned this year before I winterize my boat, so anything I get now is for next season anyway. I'll be fishing a small lake next weekend where I won't be using my downriggers. With newer downriggers, I wouldn't hesitate to try the heavier shark weights.

In other words, I'm still interested in taking those off your hands. Thanks!

Edited by Todd in NY

We ran them this year sometimes.  They will spread out about 10' or more if running deep.  they also run shallower than the counter shows due to blow back.  Biggest problem is that they put a lot of strain on the riggers.  I was constantly popping the circuit breaker on my big jons when pulling them up.  They do work to spread the lines though.  Easy to put on and off.  Just clip them in between the terminal connecter and cannonball.  Be sure to use heavier snap rings than supplied if you are running balls greater than 10lbs.