Nys and archery for the 2015 season

Mossyhorns

Is any one else flustered about the doe only start for archery season? I'm an avid deer hunter above any other hobbies in my life. This year sucks! I limit myself to what I consider a good buck for harvesting and I also shoot does to keep the freezer full. Typically I shoot does when the timing is right, for example the very end of an evening hunt when I don't plan on going back to that stand for at least a week or so. As for worthy bucks, well I'm sure many of you can agree when all of the right things happen to give you an opportunity you take advantage of it! This year I have told myself I can't hunt till buck season opens because I don't think I could refrain from releasing an arrow on a buck of my liking if it happened to present itself!

I don't agree with breaking the rules but it's killing me to sit in my recliner when I could be up a tree and it's only day one of 14 for the waiting game.

Thanks for reading,

A frustrated archer!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Personally i think the archery season is way too long and is not fair to the gun hunters, especially the older timers. Starting should be the 15th or later for either fun loving. By the time gun season opens most bucks will be hanging, shot at and will certainly be nockternal.50 days of bow season before gun is

insane.Just my thought. I bow hunt too.

The last thing I intended was to start an archery vs gun debate! I am avid in both and the last thing I think our sport needs is for us to be fighting amongst ourselves. Especially when there are flawed movements (such as the safe act) which jeopardize our young ones to have such an opportunity.

its like the crossbow laws about draw weight... The problem is the people making the laws don't understand and they don't consult the appropriate people

Edited by Dylan585

I'm not arguing at alll. I'm just saying for me myself the gun season I much to long. Most states that hold big bucks have very short gun seasons. Like days and and not weeks. But this is only me being someone who wants to shoot big deer. It may not even be the length of season that bothers me it's the timing of it, dead in the middle of rut. ALOT of younger bucks get killed at that time. Kill them with whatever weapon of your choice and enjoy everyone of them. I just love Whitetail hunting!

If that's the case I'm glad I don't live in those other states, lol. Either gun or bow I need my solitude in a tree and experiences with buddies at camp! Being busy at work and with expanding family I find less and less time to head for the woods, so I am glad our season is long like it is.

Is any one else flustered about the doe only start for archery season? I'm an avid deer hunter above any other hobbies in my life. This year sucks! I limit myself to what I consider a good buck for harvesting and I also shoot does to keep the freezer full. Typically I shoot does when the timing is right, for example the very end of an evening hunt when I don't plan on going back to that stand for at least a week or so. As for worthy bucks, well I'm sure many of you can agree when all of the right things happen to give you an opportunity you take advantage of it! This year I have told myself I can't hunt till buck season opens because I don't think I could refrain from releasing an arrow on a buck of my liking if it happened to present itself!

I don't agree with breaking the rules but it's killing me to sit in my recliner when I could be up a tree and it's only day one of 14 for the waiting game.

Thanks for reading,

A frustrated archer!

Well I thank in order for you to refrain maybe you could go hunt a peice of state land where you could shoot a buck if you chose or you could take a nice doe and put it on a BP tag. Get out of that recliner and go hunting.

I hit the woods today, however I myself seemed to lack the excitement knowing I could only shoot a doe. But i love every day of hunting so I'll keep going out regardless if I agree with the new rule or not(which I don't). I will take the time to fill out my DEC survey that came in the mail about observations while hunting. Anyone else get one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes doe only first two weeks in some zones? Not going to gain much?hunt a different area where you can shoot bucks? As for a long gun season you should live up north 6 weeks? Too long little over two weeks of bow? That's why I bought land down south, but they put muzzle loadaer where it should be up north before gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Personally i think the archery season is way too long and is not fair to the gun hunters, especially the older timers. Starting should be the 15th or later for either fun loving. By the time gun season opens most bucks will be hanging, shot at and will certainly be nockternal.50 days of bow season before gun is

insane.Just my thought. I bow hunt too.

Nocturnal by gun season really? Do you hunt where there is a lot of gun hunters?  I hunt in 8f and see deer all thru gun season a little on edge but still walking around. It literally sounds like WW3 gun shots everywhere and usually 5 shots per a deer. In my younger years before my range finder I have shot at deer and missed just to see that same deer the next day.  Archery doesn't scare the deer nearly as much as gun season.

I have harvested most of my bigger bucks during gun season and not archery. Here are a few examples. You just have to wait them out and be between the deer's bedding area and food. I have shot 4 others during bow season that are comparable to the 8 point with1 9 point being a tad bigger.

1122081925.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

20141126_173744_zpsyknmqmc2.jpg

20141126_173708_zpstarb4poj.jpg

I'm not arguing at alll. I'm just saying for me myself the gun season I much to long. Most states that hold big bucks have very short gun seasons. Like days and and not weeks. But this is only me being someone who wants to shoot big deer. It may not even be the length of season that bothers me it's the timing of it, dead in the middle of rut. ALOT of younger bucks get killed at that time. Kill them with whatever weapon of your choice and enjoy everyone of them. I just love Whitetail hunting!

I could not agree more, that is where antler restrictions come in. The other big buck states use the restrictions to combat the smaller bucks being killed.

One buck limit would fix some problems.

I will jump on that bandwagon.  I also hunt in the antlerless only until Oct. 16 WMUs and will not sit my better stands until then.  I did take a doe yesterday afternoon in a peripheral stand.  Doing my part to keep the pop in check.  lol