Canandaigua 10-5-15

Launch out of the south end Woodville boat launch bright and early and headed up the east side decided to run north a bit after hearing a report of slow fishing in the south end a couple days beforehand.. We set up shop just before Vine Valley running cores coppers Dipsy's riggers and Rigs. . We trolled till just about after daylight before our first fish hit it ended up being a beautiful 8 + pound rainbow that was an absolute blast trying to get it in on a 5 liter rig... We ran a variation of spin doctors atomic flies and Finger Lakes tackle spoons. The flasher fly bite was non-existent all day but the Finger Lakes tackle spoon bite was on fire for rainbows. We caught 9 rainbows kept one really nice one for our box and released the other 8 to fight another day... We struggled hard to catch lake trout all day long but finally towards 11 o'clock we started picking some up here and there we couldn't find the big ones we were looking forward to help us out on our box so was a bit worried going to weigh in but we ended up 3rd for the day and retain the points lead.... Congratulations to my buddy Joe Solometo (Keeping it Reel) on here In picking up the win and tightening up the chase for the championship. The championship will come down to the last tournament of the year which is Seneca Lake in 3 weeks...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-148405-14440569938322_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14440570100132_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14440570218142_thumb.jpg

Great job on the bows Mike! We did the same setting up just south of vine valley. We kept it close to the East shore and really did well on the sd fly bite. Used a Seneca special spindoctor and a dirty white boy fly, "thanks minion". Ended up going 7 for 11 on the day and lost two fish that ripped drag and were gone on 5 color core. " Bows" Huge congratulations to Joe Mike and all the teams for a great day and the bows you all brought in were studs! my memory on the lunker is hazy but it was awfully close to ten lbs, nice fish Joe Joe!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Mike we saw you at the north end in the AM but we were in close in the grey Penn Yan fishing for perch and it was a good day for us as well :)  Man... those jug rigs were almost back to Naples :lol: Nice going on the bows :yes:  Guess maybe you guys can see why I had the problem with the one limit on Canandaigua a while back but hopefully it will help out the fishing long term anyway.

I am a firm believer in the one bow limit but then again I am not a meat fisherman, and only ever kill a rainbow or brown for these tournaments. It is a amazing rainbow fishery and I actually pulled most the spread in just to limit how many we caught once we got the big bow we switched to a simple tree rod spread and began to work for lakers and it paid off some times less is more 😄😄😄😄 and thanks mike it's been a fun year filled with great competition and lots of fun and as you said finger lakes tackle all the way you know it's a good day when you say that's enough of the bows hahahaha let's pull 6 of the 9 rods and fish 3 .... Congrats to all that fished and good luck at the last event!!! post-147332-1444076355402_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great job on the bows Mike! We did the same setting up just south of vine valley. We kept it close to the East shore and really did well on the sd fly bite. Used a Seneca special spindoctor and a dirty white boy fly, "thanks minion". Ended up going 7 for 11 on the day and lost two fish that ripped drag and were gone on 5 color core. " Bows" Huge congratulations to Joe Mike and all the teams for a great day and the bows you all brought in were studs! my memory on the lunker is hazy but it was awfully close to ten lbs, nice fish Joe Joe!

We ran that same combo for quite a while with no takers but glad you got it working.. And yes the rainbows were unreal not just the quantity but the quality. ..

WOW that is a brute!!! Congrats on you placement and good luck on Seneca!

THANKS !!

Can't complain about 9 bow day.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lol.. I'm was actually getting upset with hooking up with bows because I was struggling with lakers and needed a few .. Probably the only time in my lifetime you will ever here me say that

Hey Mike we saw you at the north end in the AM but we were in close in the grey Penn Yan fishing for perch and it was a good day for us as well :) Man... those jug rigs were almost back to Naples :lol: Nice going on the bows :yes: Guess maybe you guys can see why I had the problem with the one limit on Canandaigua a while back but hopefully it will help out the fishing long term anyway.

Yeah Sk8man I understand but it's a good thing trust me... Having that kind of rainbow fishing on your home lake makes me extremely jealous. . Our club has a one bow limited per team per tournament just to protect them just that much more.. We released all but 1 bow back to the lake

I am a firm believer in the one bow limit but then again I am not a meat fisherman, and only ever kill a rainbow or brown for these tournaments. It is a amazing rainbow fishery and I actually pulled most the spread in just to limit how many we caught once we got the big bow we switched to a simple tree rod spread and began to work for lakers and it paid off some times less is more 😄😄😄😄 and thanks mike it's been a fun year filled with great competition and lots of fun and as you said finger lakes tackle all the way you know it's a good day when you say that's enough of the bows hahahaha let's pull 6 of the 9 rods and fish 3 .... Congrats to all that fished and good luck at the last event!!! attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1444076352.871979.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah Joe I actually said to Matt a few times awww man another Bow!! Lol... Great job on the decent size lakers, my laker program just wasn't getting it done... Can't wait for Seneca. ..Honestly wish it was this coming weekend cause I have a feeling someone will be doing some big time scouting in the next 2 weeks lol

I release everything but the fish that go belly up after release and rainbows can be a bit fragile when the water is real warm. I always look forward to the Fall colder water fishing. You guys are a great bunch of anglers and I wish each of you the best of luck out there. Stay safe.

That's awesome that the lake gives up that many bows and of that size!! I always wanted to fish the finger lakes, this might give me the "Lets Do This" just to have that kind of action. Thanks for the come back on our posts Iron Duke, I appreciated that! Again best of luck to you on Seneca.

The friend I fished with had a great throttle hand, we would mark bait or fish and he would settle the riggers and bump the speed, or he did a nice s turn. That got the Lakers to go for us. One that I lost came up barely hooked under the chin. We also had a few bumps on the wire dipsy. I think they were checking it, swiping at it and not committing to inhale, kinda like Clinton not inhaling! :lol:

Start the scouting for Seneca!!

Iron duke just wondering where you got your outriggers or if you made them only ones I can find are deep sea.thanks

Are you talking about the trees on the side of the boat?? I don't have outriggers... If you are they are Great Lakes Planners and they are the best in the market and somewhat local to us too... Here's their link. http://greatlakesplaners.com/fishing/

Mike