Shorefishing Help

Next Thursday-Saturday my wife, 3 year old daughter and I will be making the trip up to the area to do some fishing and of course enjoy the scenery and some wine.  We will be staying in watkins and were planning on doing some shore fishing.  

I was thinking that we could fish taughannock falls since there is the important things for a 3 year old, a bathroom and there is a playground for after fishing.  I was planning on jigging soft plastic swim baits and putting a crawler on for the 3 year old with a bobber.  We are fishing for anything that will bite.  If I luck into a lake trout that would be great but I am not counting on that.  

Is this a reasonable plan? I there other access points or lakes I could or should try while we are up in the area?  Any other techniques I should try?  Really any information and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nomad

Sounds like a good plan to me....also with a youngster that age the car can be fairly nearby  too. I'd be bringing some egg sacks along as well fished off a slip sinker and if you can find perch in the shallower area maybe imitation small plastic crayfish and plastic minnows (small shad) used on small jigs. You can get into some pretty deep water right from shore there too..Good time to break her in on using a life jacket as well. :)

Edited by Sk8man

If you get some Sawbellies and float them out you might get Salmon or Rainbows. I caught both all the way to T falls. Only around 16" but their fun. I also caught them on a bass pro jig. Looks like Alewife with a trouble hook. Comes in 1 oz and 3/4oz. The Salmon chased it right to the surface. Maybe you can get lucky with some live bait.

I trolled from Sheldrake down. Then jigged in front. I didn't troll back... I lost a pole with full setup to the lake...

Edited by FishingTheFL

Oh.... I used the cheap rod holder that was already on the boat... guess what's getting replaced tomorrow after work lol. Paddle tail Zoom Flukes work good. Has to be the paddle tail. The fish tails don't work. Spend many days catching nothing til some one at Dean's cove showed me the right ones.

In my opinion if you get smaller alewifes (Sawbellies) and float them out there on a bobber or get it them out and down with a sinker you might have some luck.

Jigging, I only get hits when I can get pretty much perfectly vertical off shore. Its fun when you get a big one on 8lbs test