Hate to say it.......found some fleas!

I couldn't believe I found some fleas - Kueka Bluff, in the shallows trolling.....got me thinking and planning a bit.

I know it is early, but any suggestions on what works once the summer gets here?

1- 30lb plus line - fcarbon I suppose

2- Flea Flicker

3- Get the braided off the dipseys

Will be trolling Keuka mostly...so the heavy line is not my first choice.

Dave

good point.bunch of it floating around on honeoye yesterday.had to peel off a small ball of it now and then.good question tho. don't fish lake o. as much as i use to but when i do it can be a big pain later in the year. surprised i have any rod tips left on my poles from slapping them in the water so much.

Might have been the cotton trees...one can only hope. Acted just like the fleas, but I know it must be too early. Do you think the flicker is a better choice then a heavy carbon? Used the flicker up at Fair Haven, and was not too impressed. How bad do they get on Keuka?

Dave

Cottonwoods can be either male or female. It is the fluffy white seeds produced by the females during early summer that give the tree its name.

Just got back from fishing Keuka. LOTS of "cotton" and a few fleas

Toonfisher and I got 6 LT 18" to 24" on alittle bit of every color spoon. Nice weights.

That sucks!!!!! I ran the 20# FF line for a season and did not like it. You really had to make sure your knots were absolutely perfect or they would pull out.

I run 30# Ande w/fluoro leaders during the bad flea times, I really don't like running the thick mono, especially on the Finger's, but you don't have a choice.

DAN

Hey Irish,

Did you run the 20 FF on year or just late summer? I just got two new spools and am trying to time a single spooling. Got out this last weekend and had a slow start but ended up with a couple lakers, dipseys over deep water (160). Running braided on the dipseys, a little cotton wood junk, not too bad.

Superhawk - If I recall correctly, I spooled up my two primary rigger rods with the FF and left it there throughout the season. It was my first season with the boat so I was only running a minimal spread at the time.

i really didn't like it and junked it at the end of the year - now I have almost as many rods as Splitshot so I keep two rigger rods spooled with the 30# Ande and run wire divers & leadcore when the fleas are thick. Early & late season when the fleas go bye - bye I'll break out the lighter stuff.

DAN

I currently have been running just dipsey's, so I have two reels of #30 braided, that has served very well. Been able to get down to 40 ft with the large divers. Just got my DR's and will be installing them in the next few weeks. I was thinking I would try the braided on the DR's and see if the line holds in the releases or not. If so, will run that setup until our friends (flees) show up to the party, then switch to FF #20. Additional rod/reel on the wish list, of course.

Thoughts?

Dave

Dan, thanks! I didn't mean putting the braid on the DR spools. I meant simply utilizing the braid on the rod/reel setup until the flees come. Then, going with the #20 FF.

Dave