Lamoka Lake tournament?

Brent and I were tossing around the idea of having a tournament on Lamoka lake next season other day while on the water...I think it would make for an interesting tournament and would force all of us who have a hard time of leaving waneta to explore lamoka to fish it thoroughly!

They are definitely in there, it'd be cool to have several people fishing it at once to get a rough beginning estimate of what their population density is. While still at ESF, I almost did some seining towards the south end of the lake to see if I could find any un-clipped young of year fish...there does appear to be some better spawning habitat that may allow for natural reproduction.

Any thoughts/interest from anyone on this idea?

Cool idea, I'd be down for it.  Would love to see the clubs make a push to have that lake (re)-stocked with ski's.  :yes:

I agree, giving the lake more angling attention may be the push needed to simply have them start throwing a few hundred of the YOY over there instead of all just in Waneta.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, I sent an email to region 8 requesting info on reestablishing stocking to Lamoka. If anyone else has the time to do so too it couldn't hurt in showing that there are a few of us interested in seeing that happen. I would really hope that it wouldn't be a pain in the ass since all they would have to do at the launch is turn left with their boats! :yes:

In early 2014 Brad Hammers came to one of the MI Chapter 69 meetings and talked about Waneta and Lamoka as well as to get us on board with a diary study for those lakes and Conesus Lake. At the time, the subject of stocking Lamoka came up and he said that they were considering stocking muskies in Lamoka again. I haven't heard anything about it since then so I don't know if it has gone any further. At the time, we gave him a big thumbs up.

Gents, I sent an email to region 8 requesting info on reestablishing stocking to Lamoka. If anyone else has the time to do so too it couldn't hurt in showing that there are a few of us interested in seeing that happen. I would really hope that it wouldn't be a pain in the ass since all they would have to do at the launch is turn left with their boats! :yes:

Nice job Mike!  :yes:

There is no reason why they could not at least take the close to 30,000 3 1/2" muskie fingerlings that are excess when they set aside the number needed for what they feed in the tanks and then place in ponds for growth.They are ear marking those excess fish to just dump in the Allegany River to be trout food . Unfortunately this year it is to late to do anything about it,because they have already stocked.

Steve,They use to take the excess 3 1/2" muskies down to Prendergast Launch and dump them in.There have been a number of muskies caught that have no clipped fins,since they do not think there is a successful spawn in numbers,they could have come from those excess fingerlings that were not clipped.

Survival will definitely take a hit with a lack of cover, but I do know that Lamoka has more cover than Waneta. I believe the Lakes association avoids treating both lakes simultaneously (at least there is 1 thing they can do right). It certainly wouldn't hurt to put extra fish in Lamoka, some will survive and it helps to get a jump start on reestablishing stocking efforts there and it opens up another fishing opportunity.