Interesting evening in my treestand-double on coyotes

Tall Tails

Wowwww! great story, I agree with Jakey, were not dealin with an old skanky yote here. Any yote that reaches 30lbs or higher is a red, half timber wolf and half eastern yote! I have a 49 lber mounted and for sure will make your hair stand up. You had some big balls getting out of that tree, glad it worked out for ya,Hope you got your arrows back!

In the tree last night and a pack of coyotes started yipping and howling a half hour before dark! First thing through my mind was Brian. Too damn many of em that's for sure.

What a creepy and well told experience! Dont care how big an animal is..... The thought of not being the APEX in the woods is a little unsettling to say the least! I have had yotes follow/stalk me while hunting the tug hill. It puts a hustle in your step! Dont care to be thought of as a menu offering, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wow!! That's all I can say.... I had a pack within a hundred yards start yipping and howling while I was walking to my deer stand an hour before sunrise. Freaked me out, but for me it was gun season so I stalked quietly to my stand with my shotgun shouldered....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I was able to harvest a buck at 430pm. Placed a good shot (heart) and it watched it drop within 30 yards. Had it gutted and dragged out by 510pm. Checked my trail cam tonight and a pack of yotes showed up at 515 pm. It doesn't take them long.....I'm just glad I was gone before they got there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• You should not lobby for the right to carry a gun while bow hunting. The thing you should fear most in the woods is a tick. We have to much poaching as it is. If you are afraid to be in the woods because coyotes and bears you should take up another sport. I have a camp in 7M and we set by the fire and listen to the yotes all the time. Often they are very close and never we fear for our lives. When you have an encounter like this one look at it as an exciting part of nature. A story to tell for years to come. Not a reason to enter the woods in fear. I had a bear pass under my stand a few years ago and everyone asked if I was scared. Even though the bear passed within a few feet of my ladder stand I never even picked up my bow. To me it was a great pleasure to see such a regal animal at close range.

• 1 month later...

I had to come back to this post as tonight I did a set for fox n yotes long story short I called a big dark yote in to about 50 yards in hard woods shot it broad side aiming for be lung heart w my 223 this was right at dark he ran off and I got one more shot at him. I waited 5 min and headed toward direction he ran found some tracks in what lil light I had went 20 yards and a yote started barking howling less then what sounded to be 60 yards thru thicket so I backed up debating on starting call back up but was to dark. This yote stayed at the same spot barking howling for 35 min u til I got to truck and couldn't hear any longer I am gonna go back in am and do a set and look for the yote I had to have hit just wondering if anyone herd of a scenario like this it's almost similar to the original post on the page I could have missed but would you think that yote would have stuck around after the shots and running away and me starting to look for him

Edited by fisherman85

Have been hunting coyotes with a passion for ~ 15 years [ ie the only good 'yote is a dead one ]in NOTL Ont. never heard an even similar story ; always the opposite ! Questions I have :

#1 Could they have been coydogs ? The hybrid can have the worst traits ie. little fear of humans and can pack up to attack !

#2 We hunt coyotes with rifles and shotguns which definitely spooks them if we miss ; with the arrow being almost silent so not the fear factor ! I use a loud whistle when pushing coyotes which may be a legal form of protection .

#3 This may be a changing pattern of behavior which has to be addressed with firearms !

I wouldn't honestly know the diff between a coydog look like a coyote beautiful long busy tail dark coat have shot a few myself and I wish I would have seen it barking I turned away thinking wasn't the best ideal to head into thicket w a agressive dog maybe we can chat would love to learn more on coydog n yotes

Edited by fisherman85