Fingerlakes Perch

snedden

I hate to say it but don't expect a whole bunch of good tips on that subject.Perch fishermen are about the tightest lipped of all fishermen. It has always been that way and there is a logical reason for some of it. They are very different than trout in their habits and when dialed in they can be fairly easily decimated by fishermen who know what they are doing so those folks will be VERY protective of their spots (even lakes) not to mention techniques etc. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

True Les.  I have been sworn to secrecy several times this year as I take lessons from jedi masters.  It always comes with a story about how somebody abused the information and ruined it.  I gave up my secret bullhead honey hole last year and it got abused and this year I went without bullheads.  I can survive without them, however, that was my experiment to see if it makes a difference and it can.  Some people have no idea what conservation is.  I will share info, usually, but I am extremely protective of anything now that I think is susceptible to misuse and not just online - I keep secrets from family now too.  It is difficult to promote any fishery without some negative impact.  This site is full of lurkers who offer nothing to the subject matter and usually nothing to the fishery.  Some enjoy reading the reports/seeing pics and some just looking for valid info to exploit.

I am not a terrible perch fisherman and I am not a terrific perch fisherman.  Those are my totals.  I don't think it is a good bite yet.  My perch almanac says 2 weeks. :)

Joe

I think the water temp needs to come down a bit yet before things really heat up on some of the lakes so don't get discouraged just yet folks :)

I have always wanted to find out about the seneca perch, very tight lipped group. How ever after the previous post about lurkers i am definitely guilty. How ever it is probably mostly because i have almost given up all freshwater fishing. So anyone around that would be willing to point me in the right direction for seneca i would be willing to trade a 99% guaranteed musky trip here on my local river and or a trip down south to offshore fish tuna marlin and mahi

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The other side of the coin was experienced by Admiral Byrd and I on Canandaigua last week. We were anchored up and drifting as well and had about a dozen or more boats cruise by us at full tilt between us and the shore spooking everything nearby and each time we located the perch it happened and we weren't out deep so they weren't even supposed to be going that fast near shore anyway. Probably good there wasn't a flare gun on board tthe Admiral had a case of the tight jaws and you probably could have fried an egg on his head :lol: . There are a lot of idiots driving boats these days and many don't have a clue about fishing. One boat had the nerve to wave to us as they crushed our fishing spot. There can sometimes be valid reasons for the territorial response :)

Edited by Sk8man

The other side of the coin was experienced by Admiral Byrd and I on Canandaigua last week. We were anchored up and drifting as well and had about a dozen or more boats cruise by us at full tilt between us and the shore spooking everything nearby and each time we located the perch it happened and we weren't out deep so they weren't even supposed to be going that fast near shore anyway. Probably good there wasn't a flare gun on board tthe Admiral had a case of the tight jaws and you probably could have fried an egg on his head :lol: . There are a lot of idiots driving boats these days and many don't have a clue about fishing. One boat had the nerve to wave to us as they crushed our fishing spot. There can sometimes be valid reasons for the territorial response :)

They are on every body of water but for some reason, there is an abundance of them on Canandaigua Lake!

Grady

There are some good ones but not nearly as many jumbos as Seneca, Cayuga, or Keuka and for a good p[art of the season the high boat traffic interferes with fishing for them because of the ahole parade out there. Canandaigua also has a higher density of fishing pressure because of its smaller size and relatively fewer perch spots than the other lakes mentioned and the closer proximity to Rochester  adds to the situation.

Edited by Sk8man