New to trout and salmon fishing. Looking for help

lots of good reading here on lou,lotsa salmon school in niagra falls in the end of january,and dan keatings books are also good.you can find them on amazon.

Edited by finsntins

• 3 weeks later...

Start gearing up now for the spring fishery.  I would recommend planer boards either in line or with a mast. Small sticks and spoons.  You may also want to invest in a couple of downriggers.   In the spring look for the warm waters in 5 to 20 feet.  Brown trout are a good way for you to start out of Sodus. 

Good luck.

Dave

• 3 months later...

The best advice  can give you is as follows...

1) Unless your wife fishes get a divorce now because you dont want to waste any time during the king run in a lawyers office

2) Be prepared to spend sleepless nights dreaming and reliving the first wire/dipsy strike

3) Open the wallet because your gonna buy about 300 spoons, flashers and flies when you realistically need about 20

4) Get your son a tutor now because he will spend a lot of time in class day dreaming

5) Make sure your paypal account is linked with your ebay account so purchasing the spoons is easier

6) Next winter when the lake is dead you can come here for a withdrawals support group 

What do you have for a boat? How is it rigged at the moment? How are you set up for tackle? Telling guys here what you already have will help give you as much useful info as possible.

The best advice can give you is as follows...

1) Unless your wife fishes get a divorce now because you dont want to waste any time during the king run in a lawyers office

2) Be prepared to spend sleepless nights dreaming and reliving the first wire/dipsy strike

3) Open the wallet because your gonna buy about 300 spoons, flashers and flies when you realistically need about 20

4) Get your son a tutor now because he will spend a lot of time in class day dreaming

5) Make sure your paypal account is linked with your ebay account so purchasing the spoons is easier

6) Next winter when the lake is dead you can come here for a withdrawals support group

Says it all

The best advice can give you is as follows...

This will be my second season with my kayak and finally am getting around to putting together a second trolling outfit for trout and salmon.  I have an eagle claw starfire 8'6"ML and was thinking about getting a Cabela's Depthmaster in the same size 86ML since I have a gift card to use up.  Anybody have any opinions on the Cabela's rods that have used them on Lake O? 

I have 6 of the Cabela's Depthmaster Rods and Reels. The rods handle the fish fine and the reels are ok, but they seem to have a sensitive drag. It doesn't take much to tighten down the drag too much. I'm fine with them as long as my fishing friends keep their hands off the adjustments.