Daughters NM Elk Hunt

Hookedup

Just got back from a great trip to NM with my 12 year old daughter Sierra.  Sierra made it a short hunt filling her elk tag the first few minutes of the first day.  Day one started with elk all around us twenty cows or so and two good bulls one of which went at least 370 and the good 6x6 that she shot.  The cows had us pinned down and were feeding towards us to within 10 yards, the 6x6 and bigger bull were fighting and beating up trees and brush over a bank 300 yards away.  The cows never made us so when the bull stepped into a clearing at 250 yds before I could say a word Sierra put one in his heart with the 300 mag.  I couldn't be more proud of her and for her first elk it is one heck of a bull.  We spent the rest of the week traveling around NM and Southern CO.  We did hit a great rifle range outside Albuquerque the first day where she got to shoot steel out to 760yds.  The rest of the week we visited White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell, Chama ( the Cumbres and Toltec railroad ride was awesome) and we hiked the continental divide trail for a few miles in CO looking for Elk.  It was a trip I can't wait to do again with her or her sisters.

DSCN0278_zpsentwqtun.jpg

DSCN0300_zpsgoax5eh3.jpg

DSCN0305_zpsomtvznwg.jpg

IMG_20151010_075020112_zpso7g4a23d.jpg

DSCN0776_zpsb9na4mvl.jpg

DSCN0253_zpsz81ulug4.jpg

AWESOME!! She will be hooked for ever...hope she got to hear some bugles and all the cows talking! I have a good friend in Luna NM (unit 15) that I archery hunt with every yr I can draw a Tag. This year I got a Landowner tag up near Las Vegas NM (unit 41) for a late season hunt. What unit did You guys get to hunt? NM is a great Elk state...Im sure YOU are super proud and still have a big smile getting to watch her put the smack down on a GREAT bull!

AWESOME!! She will be hooked for ever...hope she got to hear some bugles and all the cows talking! I have a good friend in Luna NM (unit 15) that I archery hunt with every yr I can draw a Tag. This year I got a Landowner tag up near Las Vegas NM (unit 41) for a late season hunt. What unit did You guys get to hunt? NM is a great Elk state...Im sure YOU are super proud and still have a big smile getting to watch her put the smack down on a GREAT bull!

Thanks guys, we were in unit 34 in the south part of the state. Lots of good bulls in the area. I talked to some guys that got to hunt unit 17 and they had some giants in that unit this year.

Great hunt and a beautiful bull. Do you mind me asking where you were hunting. My wife and I were in Toas this summer (beautiful area and decent fly fishing) and have thought about trying an elk hunt someday. We better hurry as the old legs aren't what they use to be.

We hunted with Compass West Outfitters, great outfit. They take care of all your applications for the draw, and if you don't want to wait to draw a tag they have some good landowner permits available. I will be using them again. Sean

WTG! Geez Sean she is right up there with her granddad already :lol:

LOL first thing she did was call her grandfather and let him know her bull was bigger than the Elk he has. Not to mention the bragging she talked to me all week. I love it it's better than hunting myself.

Holy hell. Horns to the sky Batman!! Congrats to you and your daughter!! That defiantly a wall hanger. You will need to stay low with the head so the horns don't hit the ceiling!!!! How rattled was she after the shot??

Unreal! I tried with my daughter, but the day she told me, "Dad, I'm not really a hunter/fisher girl" nearly broke my heart. I guess you got to support them no matter which direction they choose to go, though. I'm glad that you're getting the opportunity to mentor your daughter in the outdoors; treasure it! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You better start building a new trophy room. You a have a  few more working through the ranks. That was a beautiful animal but the real prize is the time you spent getting ready for the hunt. The pic of the practice shooting tells the whole story. Many hours of training to take a perfect shot. Many adults go into the field with no idea how to shoot the weapon. Was she involved with loading the ammo as well? I never regretted any time or money I spent with Ben teaching him to be a great outdoorsman. The time we spent in the outdoors will never be forgotten. Sean , enjoy the many years ahead with your kids on the water or the field. What is next a moose or bear?    Wes

Sierra, You should be very proud. Enjoy as much time with your dad as you can.

Thanks Wes, and Mark. Many hours of shooting spent with all my girls. Sierra is doing alot of long range shooting with me. The pic is a 1200 yard target. I am working on future trips with the three girls, Illinois deer and Wyoming Elk this coming year with them. I have no problem busting my ass working to keep them hunting. Best money you can spend.

post-141012-0-45419400-1449170341_thumb.jpg