Musky lures for Walleye

I love fishing Erie Walleye and the tournaments and one thing I regret not doing and told myself I would do this year is run a couple 8 to 10 inch baits on lead core for large eyes. In my experience there is no rhyme or reason to what or when a true big Erie eye will eat. Last year the biggest eye we caught had a silver bass that was 6 to 7 inches long in its belly. This year our biggest eyes came off a variety of the normal Erie trolling baits. Our biggest this year was off a wd spoon which has been our best for big eyes. Talking to a buddy whom works for the Dec he said during fall netting the eyes are full of extra large shad.

Just looking for opinions from some Musky guys on accidental catches of walleyes and if bigger baits really mean bigger fish.

Cool topic. I like your idea for the tourney.

We've caught several big species, incidentally, while muskie fishing. Dad got a 35 pound flathead that ate a 6in muskie bait at 5mph. I got a 7lb Chautauqua smallmouth on a 5in shad bait at 5mph.

But to answer your question, my personal best walleye is a 13lber i got on a 10" straight believer while trolling for muskies on the st lawrence. Weve also caught big walleyes on 5" shad baits like tuff shads and boss shads. Got a 10lber on a Boss Shad at West Branch in OH last spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Ivan

I just think the idea of trolling a large 8 to 10 inch bait mixed in with a handful of 4 and 5 inch baits might just be the bait that the big one takes especially in a school of eyes. We run a pretty large spread of lead cores off in lines usually three per a side. Heard of guys in OH running big baits slow before ice in and after ice out. I am sure same applies on Quinte in the fall mostly husky jerks.

Any suggestions on baits would help. Thanks in advance.

I bet we average 1 big walleye every other night or so night trolling the niagara. Usually when you get into them you find more than one with some areas loading up at times during the summer. They are all on the large size with most being in that 27-30" range so it would be safe to say trolling musky baits is an effective trophy walleye tactic if that's what your after. We've caught most of them trolling perch baits and musky candies with quite a few more on depth raiders over the last few years. I've also had another dozen or so put red October tubes down their throats jigging during daylight hours. They are always a disapointment honestly as I just want it to be that giant skii every time a rod fires. Had one smoke a candy on the st. Larry 2 weeks ago, made the rod bend real slow just like a big girl would. Stupid 12 pound walleye.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year when targeting Musky in front of Kingston we took an 8lb walleye doing 3.5 moh with a big Musky Bait. Im not sure the name of it but much bigger that a 900. We got s 46 3/4 ski too

Edited by Landshark

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use big baits exclusively every fall casting for eyes from f18's to magnum bombers and catch eyes tiger trolling very regularly. Last year in the tiger tourney I believe a couple eyes were caught on big baits. I think faster trolling speeds with bigger than average sized baits can often can trigger big fish that normally wouldn't budge...

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app