Howdy fellers, from Tennessee

As the title says I'm in Tn,

I will be making a trip up north at the end of April. 2016

We are wanting to do some salmon,Brown and lake trout fishing on lake ontario.

Salmon is new to me. I am hear looking for an education.

My current setup is for lake trout here in Tn.

Bayliner cuddy cabin 24'

Merc. 175 hp i/o

2 electric downriggers

Lowrance hdi 10 with side scan and down imaging.

We will be going out of Oswego or sodus point.

Again any and all help and education will be greatly appericated.

Welcome aboard. You will find a lot of good info here. Browns and lakers are doable at that time of year. Kings usually dont show up in good numbers until mid summer on east end of lake. Thats not to say you wont catch one. Search previous posts for a lot of good ideas that will work for your current set up. Or you can just ask? You'll get lots of fodder to chew on. Tight lines

Thank you for the information.

As I stated earlier I have no knowledge of planner boards. Is there a special setup I will need? I was looking at then earlier and seem to have limited information on how they work and setups.

You're only allowed 3 rods per fisherman, so unless you plan to do this a lot, I'd buy some small inline boards and learn how to use them They are easy and work well.  Drop a couple of mono lines 100-150' back from the boat and attach those to your down rigger releases.  They only need to be down 2-7' when you're fishing in shallow for springtime browns (6 to 15 feet of water).  Run two riggers, two inlines and maybe a rod by itself straight out the back.  Bright colored stick baits for muddy/cloudy water and some natural colors for clearer water.  Find the warmer water pockets and they will hold fish.  This is usually the muddy/colored water.  Keep all baits a good distance from boat, because like mentioned earlier, the browns are spooky.  You can pick up coho, lakers and an occasional king this way also.  Good luck.