Late Muzzleloader ? for Southern Zone

fmrdd0331

I was thinking about buying my bow, muzzleloader and regular season license for the southern zone.  I had twins this spring and would have bought a muzzleloader for this fall but medical bills took a huge chunk out of my fall toys funds.  Would I be able to just use my regular bow to fill both my late muzzleloader tag and my bow tag this fall?  I have heard of people preferring to hunt the time of muzzleloader with a regular bow, just wanted to make sure it was legal.  I know crossbow is Nov 1st on and for late mz but I don't have one.  Thanks for any help with my ??

Go online and read the rules(DEC website). You'll find you may only use your muzzy tag to take a deer with either the muzzleloader or a crossbow during a muzzleloader  season. Your bow may be used to take/tag deer during early bow season with a bow tag, during regular season with the general tag and during late season with the bow tag. Can't use a muzzy tag to tag a compound bow killed deer ever.

The late season for Bow and Muzz. run together Dec. 14 - Dec. 22. If you have Archery tags of Muzzleloader/Archery combo tags you absolutely can fill them with a bow during that late season. I am assuming you bought an Archery Lic. and not a muzzleloader lic or both. If you only bought a Muzzleloader lic., then you would need to fill it with a MZL. The laws do allow a person with only a Reg. season hunting lic. to hunt deer with a bow during the the Reg. season provided you have taken the Archery course "OR" have a valid Archery Lic.

I was asking if I bought both bow and MZL could I fill both with my bow? I don't own a mzl yet.   It makes no sense at all that I could use a crossbow and fill my MZL tag but not my regular bow.  if this is the rule then that is pretty stupid.

Yes when you buy both, the tags say right on them. One will say Muzzleloader/ Bow either , meaning buck or doe. The other will say Antlerless Muzz/bow. Southern Late bow/muzzleloader run together and you may use either weapon to fill those tags. One other thing I learned lately is if you didn't fill your reg. season Buck tag, You can use that tag to shoot tag a buck or a doe during late season Bow/Muzz. Wow their are years I thought I was done for buck but still had a reg season tag left.

Here is the links to this.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Edited by buckboardjr

Yes when you buy both, the tags say right on them. One will say Muzzleloader/ Bow either , meaning buck or doe. The other will say Antlerless Muzz/bow. Southern Late bow/muzzleloader run together and you may use either weapon to fill those tags. One other thing I learned lately is if you didn't fill your reg. season Buck tag, You can use that tag to shoot tag a buck or a doe during late season Bow/Muzz. Wow their are years I thought I was done for buck but still had a reg season tag left.

Here is the links to this.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Yes it's has been that way for a few years now. But unfortunately this year it is NO longer in effect since this great state says we as hunters are not allowed to shoot a buck during the late season! In the designated areas that is. Edited by JakeyBaby

Yes it's has been that way for a few years now. But unfortunately this year it is NO longer in effect since this great state says we as hunters are not allowed to shoot a buck during the late season! In the designated areas that is.

Shame on NYS for not revising the regulations on the link I attached before. I had to "Hunt" a bit on the net to find this link. Thanks for pointing this out Jake. Look at the maps

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html